Last Updated: July 24th, 2011
Getting my hands on the Charm was no mean feat. Motorola didn’t seem keen to send out review units to anyone in a hurry, so I took it upon myself to go buy one, under the pretext of it being a gift for my girlfriend (she has a Nokia 1661 for chrissakes).
That in itself was quite a quest, as not a single store in the state of Maine seemed to have one in stock. Several broken promises later, and I was on the bus to Boston, having been assured that there were “less than 10” units in stock in T-Mobile’s downtown store.
Last Updated: August 27th, 2010
Based on a tweet by Cyanogen, the G2 isn't going to be sporting another rehash of the Snapdragon family of chipsets that has come to dominate HTC devices for the past 6 months.
You may remember back in November of 2009 (or maybe not, I didn't) that Qualcomm demoed an updated family of chipsets for mobile multimedia devices. The name of that chipset is the remarkably catchy MSM7X30 (really has a ring to it, no?), and it's bringing a little more to the table than its predecessors.
We already knew the G2 would be shipping with HSPA+ connectivity (the first phone to have it), but that's only one of the goodies Qualcomm's upgraded chipset will be offering:
- 720P video encoding (recording) and decoding at 30FPS
- Integrated 2D/3D GPU's with OpenGL ES 2.0 and Open VG 1.1 API support
- 5.1 surround sound output
- Up to 12 megapixel camera support
- Integrated GPS
- Support for processor speeds between 800MHz and 1GHz (Scorpion CPU's, same as Snapdragon's)
All of this considered, the G2's spec sheet could really cause some heads to explode.
Last Updated: August 17th, 2010
It happened to the Droid X, it happened to the Galaxy S, and now it's happening to the Droid 2. The Droid 2's live wallpaper, the one with the evil red eye, has been extracted and is ready to be used on any other device running Android 2.0 or above.
Oh, and as if that wasn't enough, it now comes in nine versions, including:
- the original wallpaper
- modified versions called Evil Andy and Evil Grey Andy
- a mod with the eye from the Droid X, only on the Droid 2's background image
- a Cyanogen Mod themed one
- a BlackDroid edition
- a green theme
- a gold theme
- and a wallpaper where the eye is from the Droid 2 and the background is from the Droid X.