Oh, and the other cool new thing? Android! market.android.com/details?id=com…
— TiVo Margret Schmidt (@tivodesign) January 6, 2012
This comes as great news to TiVo owners as it allows them to control their DVRs from the comfort of their Android 2.1+ phone or 7-inch tablet (the app description makes particular reference to "7-inch tablet").
The app looks to be a great first try with most of the features a TiVo user would want, including:
- Browse the channel guide and record shows without exiting the currently running programme
- View shows up to 14 days in advance
- Schedule and manage TV shows and movie recordings
- Search for content over your TV, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video & Blockbuster in an integrated view
- Explore information on the cast and crew of the current show
- Comment and share information about the show on Facebook and Twitter
- Use a TiVo remote control replica (but don't worry you won't have to use this interface as you can use the app's gesture based controls)
- Schedule, search, and browse content when you are away form your device
As expected, the app has garnered plenty of favourable reviews, however its rating is currently at 3.9 owing to a small number of 1 star reviews.