June 2017 Android platform distribution stats see steady rise for Nougat and not much else
Android platform distribution numbers for July 2017 show another modest increase for Nougat
Android platform distribution for August 2017: Nougat hits 13.5% with Android O right around the corner
Android platform distribution updated for September 2017 with another small gain for Nougat and no sign of Oreo
Android platform distribution for October 2017 includes the first hint of Oreo at 0.2%
- View All 61 Articles In This Series
Google has updated the developer dashboards for August, and that means a new glimpse at which versions of Android are floating around out there. Like last month, Android 7.0 and 7.1 saw a small gain, and most other versions saw a small drop. That leaves Nougat on just 13.5% of devices today, and it's entirely possible Android O will arrive before another platform update does.
Android 7.0 is by far the largest version of Nougat, which is what's running on devices like the Galaxy S8. That's 12.3% of devices, and Android 7.1 is just 1.2%. The combined 13.5% share is dwarfed by Marshmallow and Lollipop, and even KitKat has a sizeable lead on Nougat. Here's a breakdown of the changes this month.
Android version stats, August 2017
|Android version||Previous data (%)||Current data (%)||Change (pp)|
Another small gain leaves Nougat tracking behind the pace set by Marshmallow last year. Looking at previous data, Marshmallow was running on 15.2% of Android devices in August 2016—a 1.7% advantage over Nougat right now. That's especially embarrassing for Nougat when you consider it was launched about a month earlier in 2016 than Marshmallow was in 2015. Marshmallow was actually on 18.7% of devices after it had been out for the same amount of time (11 months).
Android O has reached the final developer preview, and we expect it to launch in the not too distant future. It'll probably take a month or two before it appears in the distribution numbers, but the momentum will begin shifting from Nougat to Android O in short order. If there's a silver lining, I suppose you could say that Android as a platform is good enough now that people can get along fine with last year's OS. Well, I don't know if that's exactly a silver lining. Maybe copper or aluminum? It's a metal lining of some manner, that's for sure.
- Android Developers