While most of us immediately associate LG with the poorly-built G5, the fairly decent V20, and bootloops (sorry, I had to), the Korean electronics company also produces quite a few budget and mid-range phones under the K-series, X-series, and Stylus/Stylo monikers. At CES in January, LG will reportedly debut six new devices that belong to these series, and another at February's MWC.
Evan Blass (the famed @evleaks) of VentureBeat was shown marketing material for these upcoming LG phones, and although full specs weren't disclosed, a few notable features of these phones were gleaned.
- LG K3 2017: 4.5" display, 5MP rear camera, 2MP front-facing camera, 2100mAh battery
- LG K4 2017: 4.7" display, 8MP rear camera, 5MP front-facing camera, 2500mAh battery
- LG K8 2017: 5.0" 720p display, 13MP rear camera, 5MP front-facing camera, 2500mAh battery
- LG K10 2017: 5.3" 720p display, 2.5D glass on front and rear, 5MP wide-angle front-facing camera, fingerprint sensor, rear-mounted buttons
- LG X power 2: 5.5" 720p display, 13MP rear camera, 5MP wide-angle front-facing camera, 4500mAh battery
- LG X calibur: IP68 water and dust resistance, military-standard durability (likely MIL-STD-810G), 4100mAh battery
- LG Stylus 3 (Stylo 3 plus in US): 5.7" display, 32GB of storage, "digital pen," 13MP rear camera with flash, 5MP front-facing camera with flash, fingerprint sensor, rear-mounted buttons, 3200mAh battery
As you can tell from the specs, these aren't particularly high-end devices. The lower-end K-series models likely don't even have 720p displays, and 720p is already pretty low for 2017. However, it's nice to see the return of the beloved rear-mounted buttons on some models.
The K3, K4, K8, and K10, X calibur, and Stylus 3 will show their faces at CES 2017 in January, but VentureBeat expects them to be announced starting next week. The X power 2 will be introduced a bit later at MWC 2017 in late February/early March. The K-series devices will start shipping in mid-January, the Stylus 3 in mid-February, the X calibur in mid-March, and the X power 2 in late April.