T-Mobile and Sprint each have their own unlimited video streaming plans that let you watch all the content you want without eating away your data plan, with or without throttling. Now AT&T is coming out with a special one of its own, as promised.
Customers with both an AT&T and a DirecTV subscription are gaining the ability to stream live shows to their smartphones or tablets wherever they have an internet connection. This works over mobile data or Wi-Fi, but in the case of the former, you won't burn through your monthly data.
In short, your Android device is now a TV you can keep in your pocket and pull out anywhere and watch for as long as you want. Your 90s dream has now been realized.
Okay, the experience does worsen if you have a weak signal, but then again, you're used to satellite. Sometimes clouds block your dish and decide you no longer get to watch what you're watching. It happens.
There's also a good chance you already signed up for AT&T's unlimited plan, which reduces how exciting this is.
To watch AT&T Data Free TV, you need the latest U-Verse or DirecTV app. The latter hasn't yet made its way to the Play Store.
New - Data Free TV! Stream U-verse Live and On Demand shows anywhere, without using mobile data! Only with AT&T and U-verse. Restrictions apply.
Thank you for your continued support and feedback. Enjoy AT&T U-verse!
Both the DirecTV and DirecTV for Tablets apps have been updated on the Play Store to add the live TV and streaming capability and data-free TV option for AT&T subscribers. Here's the common changelog for both, and you can find the links to the Play Store in the widgets below.
Thanks for using the DIRECTV app! We’re working hard to improve your experience! Here’s what’s new in this update.
Watch Live and Recorded Shows**
Data Free TV*
One-tap access to DVR & Live TV
Live Icon on the Home page
*Must stream through App. Requires DIRECTV & AT&T wireless data services. Exclusions apply & may incur data usage. Subject to network management, including speed reduction.
**Not all content available
**Love the app? Please take a moment to write a review!**
Watch It Anywhere with AT&T DIRECTV
- Update to DIRECTV App lets you watch your live and recorded programs virtually anywhere
- New “Data Free TV” feature lets you stream AT&T U-verse and DIRECTV content without it counting against your AT&T wireless data allowance
Away from home but itching to catch a live episode of the latest hit TV show, watch your favorite recorded movie or binge watch that series everyone has been talking about? Today, with the latest update to the DIRECTV App, you can do that for almost any show anywhere.
The updated DIRECTV App gives you access to your live and recorded programming1 whether away from the living room in your home or on the go. That’s right: virtually anything you typically watch on your DIRECTV service at home will now be available anywhere you have either a mobile or Wi-Fi internet connection. That includes shows on live channels – even locals – as well as just about all of your DVR recorded programs. You can also download most of your DVR recordings to your device to watch offline – perfect for long plane flights.
Even better, you can stream video via your DIRECTV or U-verse App without using your mobile data when you’re on the go with Data Free TV on the AT&T mobile wireless network.2 It’s easy and automatic after registering and it doesn’t count against your AT&T mobile data allotment.
“Our customers want to take their TVs with them, and our new DIRECTV App allows just that,” said David Christopher, CMO, AT&T Entertainment Group. “You can get the content you want, when you want it.... your living room channels and your recorded content with you, anywhere you go.”
Here’s what DIRECTV customers get with the DIRECTV App update:
- Stream Live Channels. Access to live programming that you subscribe to on DIRECTV (up to 315 different channels), almost anywhere you have internet access, whether it’s via Wi-Fi or mobile network. You can restart shows in progress or watch shows that aired in the last 72 hours – even if you forgot to record them!
- Stream Recorded Programs. Access to content recorded on your home DVR via your mobile device, wherever you have internet access, whether it’s via Wi-Fi or mobile network.
- View Recorded Programs Offline. Ability to download almost all recorded content from your home DVR to your mobile device via your home Wi-Fi network. Once downloaded, you can watch that program anywhere, even if you’re on a plane – no internet required.
Additionally, the DIRECTV App gives you access to more than 20,000 of the latest movies and hit shows On Demand from the most popular networks to stream virtually anywhere.3
Once you’re at home, the DIRECTV App gives you even more ways to watch than before. You can instantly move the show that you were watching on your mobile device to your TV and continue watching seamlessly.
To experience these exciting ways to watch your DIRECTV, here’s what you need:
- A DIRECTV subscription (SELECT® or above)
- The DIRECTV App (available on iOS today and Android soon)
- Genie HD DVR 44 and above with a home internet connection
- The understanding that once you start streaming on your mobile device, you’re going to have little excuse to stay home
1 Not all channels available. Channels available for live streaming correspond to your package selection and may vary by location. To download, must be in-home on same Wi-Fi network connected to DVR. Certain programming cannot be downloaded. All functions and programming subject to change.
2DATA FREE TV: Must stream through DIRECTV App. Requires eligible DIRECTV & AT&T wireless services. Exclusions & restrictions apply.
3 Access to content varies by package.