Plex is a powerful media management and streaming platform, but it has always been more geared toward video. That changes today with a new version of the server software that enables an improved music experience. Music in Plex will be better for all users, but those with a Plex Pass subscription will get a few extra goodies as well.
Here's the full list of features for the new and improved Plex Music.
- Popular Tracks for artists
- Similar Artists
- Upcoming tour dates
- Add your own music videos
- Multi-disc album support
- Robust editing for artists, albums, and tracks
- Quickly fix mismatches
- Listen to your music in different Plex apps
- Access your music content when away from home
- Share your music library with friends
Plex Pass features:
- Gracenote sonic fingerprinting: Even if your collection is tagged poorly (or not at all!), get awesome matching.
- Better artwork, bios, album reviews: Get the best metadata possible, because your music collection deserves it.
- Vevo videos: Automatically have high-quality videos from Vevo added to your library that you can stream whenever you want.
- Plex Mix: Play a customized mix of similar tracks; it's like your own personal radio station.
- Mood mixes: Your individual tracks have moods associated with them, so you can make a Cheerful,Rousing playlist to start your day.
In the blog post announcing the new update, Plex made special mention of the music video streaming. You can add your own music videos to Plex and have them associated with the matching music tracks, but premium users also have Vevo integration. The mood mixes are a premium-only feature too. Everyone gets better scanning, browsing, and management features, though.
You'll need to update your Plex Media server to take advantage of the new features. There's no Android app update as of yet, but most of this is server side anyway.