TWRP is a commonly employed tool when you need to flash some ZIP files or backup your whole device, and it's getting an update today with a number of fixes and small feature improvements. There's no new handset support, but devices that already have TWRP should work a little better in some cases.
Here's the changelog for the new version of TWRP (188.8.131.52).
- Scale the GUI - TWRP can read the theme's resolution and scale it up or down to fit the theme to your screen's resolution
- Backups can now be cancelled while the backup is in progress (does not include restore because we don't want to leave your device in a bad state)
- Improve thread handling and move input handling into the main rendering thread to improve stability
- Make MTP work even if unplugged and plugged back in
- Unify scrollable list code and make kinetic scrolling feel more natural
- Fix handling of mapped zip files for OTA updates (CM12 updater)
- USB keyboards should now work on all devices that support USB host mode via a USB OTG cable
- Other small fixes and improvements
If you plan to flash TWRP on your phone or tablet, check the list of officially supported devices. You'll need an unlocked bootloader to flash the new recovery, whether you're updating or installing fresh. As usual, be careful flashing ZIPs—you could break stuff.