- 1 Wear Apps
- 2 Apps With Wear Support
- 3 Watch Faces
- 4 Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
Android Wear is picking up steam with three devices currently available, and several more still dropping later this year. You'll be able to adorn your wrist with whatever kind of screen you want—square, round, slightly different square, slightly different round, and I'm sure many others. You'll want apps to make your screen of choice worth using, and that's where the Roundup comes in. Here are all the Wear apps that didn't suck from the last few weeks.
Wear IP Cam Viewer
Keeping tabs on your IP cameras from a phone is really useful, but keeping tabs on camera feeds from a watch is even more convenient. With Wear IP Cam Viewer you can check multiple camera feeds from your watch and it's free.
View snapshots of your favourite cameras on your Android Wear device with this convenient and user-friendly app.
Add multiple IP cameras, and get snapshots of them all on your watch, when you start the app.
* Add multiple cameras on companion device, and easily test.
* Demo cameras included to get you going.
* Refresh snapshot from wrist.
* Image is pinch-and-tap zoomable on wrist.
* Can use for baby monitors, home/office CCTV, public world-wide cameras etc.
* Supports MJPEG streams and JPEG snapshots.
* Free and ad-free - please donate using In-App Billing if you like it.
* Can start on watch with "OK Google, Start IP Cam".
OneNote for Android Wear
Android Police coverage: Microsoft Releases Separate OneNote Android Wear App For Dictating Notes
There is something very amusing about Microsoft adding support for Android Wear to One Note. Microsoft has become more accepting of competing platforms as its own mobile efforts have continued to stagnate, but it usually doesn't happen this fast. The One Note Wear app is a separate download, but it works like you'd expect—say words, get note, and that's it.
We are adding a new way for you to interact with OneNote on Android devices: your watch. Simply say "Take a note" and start dictating; we'll transcribe everything you say and save it into your Quick Notes.
It's that simple.
Wear Tip Calculator
Android Police coverage: Wear Tip Calculator Might Be The First Android Wear App To Effectively Use A Circular Screen
Wear Tip Calculator seems like one of those genuinely useful apps that everyone should have on their smart watch. It uses a spinning ring to set the cost and tip percentage so you don't have to math stuff after eating. With a $0.99 in-app purchase, it will also split the check for you based on the number of people. Sure, you could do that manually, but this is prettier.
Wear Tip Calculator is a simple yet functional way to simplify tips from the comfort of your own wrist. It's Tips, Simplified.
No need to bring up your smartphone, this Android Wear connected app is elegantly designed to give people the best smartwatch experience possible.
Step 01. Add Bill
Step 02. Add Tip
Step 03. Split The Bill (In-App Purchase)
Tap and hold the round toggle button to close the app. See the companion app for more instructions.
Apps With Wear Support
XFINITY TV X1 Remote
Android Police coverage: Comcast's Xfinity X1 Remote App Updated With Android Wear Support
Android Police coverage: 29 Best New Android Apps And Live Wallpapers From The Last 2 Weeks (12/18/13 - 12/30/13)
Finally, mankind's great quest to change the channel in more convenient ways has reached its ultimate conclusion. You can do it from your wrist with Comcast's updated Android app. No, those novelty wrist remote things 20 years ago didn't count. This time it's for real.
Designed exclusively for XFINITY TV on the X1 Platform, the XFINITY TV X1 Remote lets XFINITY TV customers use their Android device to control their TVs like never before. The app is a replacement for the remote, but better. Customers can navigate by XFINITY On Demand, search for programs, and tune to content with voice commands and the on screen remote control.
Ways to use the voice control:
* Tap the mic and say what you are looking for, without typing. See results appear on your TV immediately.
Search for shows, movies, sports teams and channels using voice commands, e.g. "Find Big Bang Theory" or "When are the Sixers playing?"
* Browse XFINITY On Demand content by asking for a specific genre or network, e.g. "Show me all NBC On Demand" or "Do you have any funny movies?".
* Get recommendations for what to watch by asking for "More like this" or "What should I watch?" or "What's on tonight at 8?".
Suggestions for what to say can be found within Voice Help.
Other X1 Remote features:
* Press the XFINITY button to open the main menu on your TV.
* Use the D-pad to navigate the guide
Knock for Android
Android Police coverage: 35 Best New Android Apps And Live Wallpapers From The Last 2 Weeks (7/16/14 - 7/28/14)
Knock is a way to make text messages more annoying—I'm kidding (mostly). Knock basically turns a message into a full screen pop up like you're getting a call. None of that responding later nonsense. The other party can reply with a typed response, a location, or a canned reply. You get the information you need right away and still don't have to talk to someone on the phone. What an age we live in. The Android Wear support makes Knock accessible from your watch with swipe controls for the basic functions.
Introducing responsive missed calls.
The most frequent kind of calls are the calls with single intent/question. Knock fixes this with responsive missed calls, which shows a message in the incoming call screen and gives you quick response options.
This is how it works:
You send your friend a message ("Where are you?", "Is the movie plan on?", "Did Brazil win the game?")
He gets an (simulated) incoming call with the message overlaid on the screen.
Instead of answer/reject he will have options "Yes/No/Share location".
He can with one swipe respond to your question.
Wallaby® Credit Card Rewards
Android Police coverage: 33 Best (And 2 WTF) New Android Apps And Live Wallpapers From The Last 2 Weeks (12/15/12 - 12/27/12)
So Wallaby might look like some sort of rewards app, but it isn't actually offering its own rewards. All it does is manage the rewards offered by your various credit cards by telling you which one to use. Wallaby knows where you are and can identify the card that will give you the most bang for your buck. Now that it has Wear support, the app can give you that information on your wrist.
How does it work?
You just tell Wallaby the type of Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express credit cards you carry. When you shop, in a store or online, we’ll show you which card to use. It’s that simple.
Wallaby is completely secure: There's no need for your credit card numbers and we are PCI Level 1 Compliant. Just relax and know that you are getting the most from every purchase.
Stellio Music Audio Player
Stellio is a full-featured Android music player, and now it's a full-featured music player on Android Wear. While other music apps can only be controlled in basic ways from Wear (via notification buttons), Stellio lets you poke around in your music collection from the watch and control the volume.
The Player's theme depends on a color of cover art
Special for people with excellent taste
Also Stellio Player integrates with vk.com and lastfm
Powerful audio engine
- 15 bands equalizer and 14 audio effects: Speed, Tone, Balance, Echo, AutoWah, Flanger, Surround, AGC, X-Bass, X-Treblr, Z-Bass, Z-Treblr, Compression, VolumeAmp
- Playlists and CUE sheet: .cue .pls .m3u
- Supports a large number of rare audio formats: WavPack(.wv .wvc), Monkey(.ape), MusePack (.mpc .mpp .mp+), Lossless (.mp4 .m4a .m4b ), AAC (.aac .mp4 .m4a .m4b ), FLAC (.flac), Speex (.spx .wav .oga .ogg)
- My music, Friends,Friends, Groups, Popular, Search, Playlists, Saved
- Simple to share music with your friends
- Easy authorization without username and password (Only if official client vk is installed)
- Automatically cache audio
- Download all tracks in list by one click
- Listen to popular tracks by genres
A lot of a features
- Supports Android Wear
- Play audio by Folders, Artists, Albums, Genres
- Whole music player change appearance by track's cover art
- Beautiful lock screen widget
- 5 Homescreen widgets
- Sleep timer with smooth fading of audio
- Shake or long click on volume button for next track
- View lyrics
- Tags editing
- Automatically download missing covers or by the user choice
- Scrobbling Last.fm
tinyCam Monitor PRO for IP Cam
Android Police coverage: tinyCam Monitor Updated With Wear Support, Lets You Quickly Check An IP Camera From Your Wrist
If you use tinyCam to monitor IP cameras, you will now be able to see those feeds on your wrist. It's the same idea as Wear IP Cam, but this is a full Android app with a ton of features. The Wear component is just a new addition to an already popular app. It'll cost you $3.99 to try, but the ratings are very positive.
One of the best apps available for Android for remote surveillance, control and video recording for your private/public network or IP cameras, video encoders and DVRs with CCTV cams (100,000+ active users). Monitor your baby, pet, home, business, traffic, and weather remotely and securely (no data being sent to 3rd parties). tinyCam Monitor provides best value to customers. Buy now to get more features in future updates for free. More than 25 major updates per year with new features.
Listed as a featured app on Google TV. View your security cams right from the sofa.
24 hours refund policy available. Just email us with your order number for a full refund.
Loaded with tons of features:
- Intuitive custom made interface. See the screenshots to appreciate the quality of the app.
- H.264 codec (SW and HW) support for FOSCAM 2013 models (FI9821W, FI9826W, FI9831W).
- MPEG-4/H264 for many cams via RTSP protocol.
- M-JPEG devices support of all major vendors (150+).
- 2-way audio (talking and listening) for Axis, FOSCAM, Apexis, Loftek, Tenvis, Wanscam, Wansview, INSTAR, and more on the way.
- 1-way audio (listening) for D-Link, Edimax, Gadspot, Panasonic, SONY, Sharx Security, TRENDnet, Y-cam (selective models).
- SSL support (HTTPS protocol) for secured monitoring and encrypting credentials (digest authentication).
- 14 different layouts with unlimited number of cameras.
- Control PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) enabled devices, i.e. Pixord, Vivotek.
- Relay, LED control for some models.
- MP4 video recording (Android 4.3+) and cyclic 24/7 image recording (sequence of JPEG images) on SD card, FTP/FTPS server or Dropbox.
- Sequence mode for automatic cameras switching.
- Easy to use pinch to zoom for digital zooming.
- Import/export settings to SD card or Dropbox service.
- Support for any USB/laptop cams through 3d party software for PC/Mac (see FAQ).
- Very CPU efficient.
- The only app in the market which supports both in-app and on-camera motion detection (selective models). Make automatic snapshots or play alert sound on motion.
- LAN scanner for automatic cams detection. Have a camera IP address suddenly changed? It takes couple minutes to fully rescan your home network.
- Audio real-time processing (squelch & alarm) for using it as a baby monitor with audio graph.
- Audio monitoring from multiple cameras at once.
- Multiple background audio.
- Sensors support (e.g. temperature sensor, humidity, etc.) for some cameras.
- Cast to Android Wear. See http://goo.gl/eZgaMt
- Google Cast™ Ready (Chromecast). See http://goo.gl/g1d8yz
- TV interface (Google TV, Amazon Fire TV).
- Widgets and home shortcuts.
- Floating window.
- Tasker/Locale automation plugin.
Simple - Better Banking
Android Police coverage: Simple 2.1 Brings Android Wear Support And The Option To Add Images To Transactions
Android Police coverage: Simple App Gets A Major Redesign With Version 2.0
You can probably tell we write about Simple a lot from the huge list of posts above. It comes up a lot, and this time it's coming up because of added Wear support. The watch will now get enhanced notifications. Nothing huge, but cool nonetheless.
THE WAY BANKING SHOULD BE
Simple offers awesome support, simplified budgeting tools, and most importantly, financial peace of mind. We believe you should be proud of your bank. Download the app and open your account today.
SEE YOUR SPENDING AS IT HAPPENS
In seconds you’ll receive confirmation of each purchase via push notification. Personalize transactions with memos, hashtags and location information. It’s like a digital receipt you never have to file away.
KNOW WHAT’S SAFE-TO-SPEND®
With Safe-to-Spend, you’ll know how much you can safely spend today without hurting yourself tomorrow. We factor in upcoming bills, scheduled transactions, and transfers, then do all the math, so you don’t have to.
SAVE MONEY EVERY DAY. AUTOMATICALLY.
Goals helps you balance regular monthly expenses, lifelong dreams, and everything in between. We put money aside every day, and subtract that from your Safe-to-Spend. When you’re saving every day, you’ll be amazed how fast you reach your Goals.
TRANSFER MONEY INSTANTLY. FOR FREE.
Simple Instant makes paying back your friends a snap. Never put multiple cards down at the dinner table again.
GET SUPPORT FROM A REAL PERSON. FAST.
Customer service isn’t an afterthought, it’s at the core of everything we do. Urgent question? Call us and we’ll pick up. Don’t need an immediate answer? Message us from within the app and we’ll get back to you, usually in a couple of hours. No script, no phone menus—just real people helping you.
SECURITY IS FUNDAMENTAL TO SIMPLE
Your funds are FDIC insured to at least $250,000 through our partner bank, The Bancorp Bank, Member FDIC. If your card is ever lost or stolen, you can block it right from your desktop or mobile device. Simple uses the latest encryption to protect your information. We never compromise on security.
Editor's Note: Yes, Google has not released the official watch face API yet, and has advised developers to avoid publishing watch faces to the Play Store. However, these things exist, so we're listing them here. Some devs have already promised a swift update as soon as the API is available. There will be some bugs (like the taller cards blocking things), but a few of them take that into account. Adjust your expectations accordingly.
Spotlight Watch Face
There aren't many third-party watch faces that I'll use in advance of the API, but this is one of them. It's essentially a magnified view of a single-hand clock that follows the hand along throughout the day. It's clean, understated, and very cool.
The Spotlight watch face for Android Wear that is based on this animated gif (http://cl.ly/image/2c1y2x2w093a)
- open source
Watch Face - Minimus360
The Minimus360 watch face is round, but you can still use it on a square watch. Do you want to? Maybe. It's a nice watch face that looks a lot like the stock Motorola face. It costs $0.99, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things.
Minimus360 watch face is a very clean minimal watch face with an accent of color
Designed to make your smart watch minimal yet refined.
This watch also features a dim screen mode.**Watch face will show up on your watch automatically. If it doesn't show up please go to the android wear app > Settings and Resync all apps. *** Please contact me directly if you have any questions about this watch face before giving a bad rating. Thanks.
Ministry Silly Walks Watchface
Android Police coverage: The Best Android Wear Watchface Yet Is A Tribute To The Ministry Of Silly Walks
You haven't lived until you've had John Cleese on your watch to tell you the time via his wildly flailing limbs, but now you can get that for free with the Ministry Silly Walks Watchface. It only costs $0.99 and is hilarious. Note, that sensor bar at the bottom of the 360 is not really accounted for by the design of this watch. It's a little unfortunate.
Inspired by the famous Monty Python sketch, Ministry of Silly Walks is a simple analog Watchface that gives an unique look to your Android Wear watch.
A side note:
Due to the lack of official documentation regarding the Watchface's SDK, it isn't possible to avoid the overlapping "OK Google" message. Yet, this will be addressed as soon as possible.
Pure Watch Face
Pure Watch Face doesn't have silly walks and glowing hands, but it makes up for that with style. It's super-minimalistic and clean. It costs no money, so why not try a more zen thing with your wrist?
Pure is a free watch face, which looks great on the Moto 360 and other smartwatches. You can choose between the analog or the digital watch face.
This watch face is for rectangular smartwatches such as the Samsung Gear Live and round watches such as the Moto 360.
Key custom features:
o Digital Watch Face
o Analog Watch Face
o Puristic design
How to install Pure:
o Download the free app on Google Play
o Open it on your mobile
o Tap & hold on the watch face on the Android Wear device
o Select one of the two Pure watch faces
In case the watch face is not present, please go to your Android Wear app on the smartphone and in settings press on synchronize apps.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date (or the date of Wear functionality update) has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire off an email to this address:firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.