The Galaxy Alpha, on paper at least, is a dream phone for scores of Samsung users. You get the look of a Galaxy device without necessarily getting the feel of one. The phone is made of metal and premium materials, making up for the cheap build-quality that plagues even Samsung's high-end devices. Americans turned on by such an idea can now pick a Galaxy Alpha up come September 26th, when the phone will go on sale exclusively from AT&T online and in stores.
Unsurprisingly, the Alpha's perks come at a price. The phone will cost $612.99 altogether or $199.99 with a two-year contract. Next18 customers can opt to pay $25.55 a month, whereas Next12 folks can get by with hanging over $30.65 instead.
The Alpha matches your bling. That's why it costs so much.
Specs-wise, that money will get you a 4.7-inch 1280 by 720 AMOLED display, a 2.5GHz quad-core processor, a 12MP camera, and 32GB of internal storage (with no microSD card slot). There's a fingerprint sensor in the home button and a heart rate sensor next to the rear shooter. Power comes from a tiny 1,860mAh battery, which is smaller than even that of the Galaxy SIII. The Alpha may look premium, but it definitely comes with its share of drawbacks.
Sleek, Compact Samsung Galaxy Alpha Exclusively Available from AT&T on Sept. 26
DALLAS, Sept. 22, 2014 – AT&T1 and Samsung today announced that the Samsung Galaxy Alpha™ will be available starting Sept. 26 exclusively online at www.att.com, AT&T’s fastest way to order, and in AT&T retail stores.
“We are excited to offer you yet another industry leading smartphone with the announcement of the Galaxy Alpha on the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network,2 covering more than 300 million Americans,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president – Devices, AT&T. “The Samsung Galaxy Alpha marries sleek, premium design with all of the great features and Samsung technology that you have come to expect from a Galaxy product.”
The Galaxy Alpha’s beautiful metal frame and slim build, with a 4.7-inch screen, offers you a powerful and stylish smartphone. It features a 2.5GHz Quad Core processor and up to 32GB of storage for all of your applications, pictures and videos. Additional features include:
- HD TV-Quality Display: Samsung has equipped the Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7-inch HD Super AMOLED® display – right at your fingertips. Watch your favorite movies and shows in a crystal clear display while on-the-go.
- Stunning Images: Equipped with a 12MP rear-facing camera and a 2.1MP front-facing camera, the Galaxy Alpha uses real-time HDR to capture stunning images. The device also offers you advanced options, such as Selective Focus, Panorama and Shot & More.
- Ultra Power Saving Mode: Never worry about running out of power while on-the-go. Ultra Power Saving Mode will turn your screen to black and white, and shut off non-essential apps, so you get the most out of the battery you have left. With Ultra Power Saving Mode a 10 percent charge will allow you to still receive calls and texts for up to 24 hours.3
- S HealthTM: Keep yourself in tip-top-shape with Samsung’s S Health app.4 Track your steps, challenge your friends, earn medals and even get on-demand nutrition tips.
Select the Samsung Galaxy Alpha in Charcoal Black, Dazzling White or Frosted Gold at:
- $25.55 per month on AT&T Next18.5
- $30.65 per month on AT&T Next12.5
- $199.99 with a two-year agreement.6
- No annual commitment for $612.99.7
New customers and existing AT&T customers who activate a new line of service with a smartphone on AT&T NextSMwill receive a $100 bill credit.8
The Samsung Galaxy Alpha earned five out of five stars on AT&T’s Eco-Rating system. The system, which rates the environmental factors of AT&T branded handset devices, was created to empower consumer choice around sustainability. For more information about this device’s rating, AT&T’s Eco-Rating System, and how you can join AT&T in making a difference, please visit http://att.com/ecospace.
AT&T is focused on giving our customers a top-notch experience through fast and friendly service. Being recognized as the highest ranked wireless provider for overall purchasing experience by J.D. Power, for the third time in a row, shows this commitment to the customer experience is making a difference.9 AT&T outperformed competitors in the J.D. Power 2014 Volume 2 study and received the “Highest Satisfaction with the Purchase Experience among Full-Service Wireless Providers, Three Times in a Row.”