The fashionably late July over-the-air update for the OnePlus One that bumps the handset up to Android 4.4.4 is beginning to roll out as of now and will continue through the end of the week (it's staged, with 10% rolling out first). In addition to new versions of Google apps, the update contains a cooler calibration for its screen and fixes that stop the phone from activating off-screen gestures while in your pocket.
There's also a new Clear Image camera feature that stitches together over 10 individual photos to produce an image with a higher resolution. Here is a comparison shot with the photo of interest positioned on the right.
Unfortunately, this update does not fix the OnePlus One's touch screen issue where it fails to distinguish between taps within close proximity of one another. This problem makes itself most apparent when typing, and the issue is present on a majority of devices, driving many people up the wall. Both a workaround fix and a proper fix are on the way, but they're not bundled up with the goodies contained within this OTA.
View the things that are in the changelog below.
- Upgraded to Android 4.4.4
- Updated to new versions of Google apps
- Added Clear Image
- Added new (colder) calibration for the screen
- Proximity sensor prevents activation of off-screen gestures while in your pocket
- Capacitive touch keys supported in the recovery mode
- Increased capacitive button illumination
- Improved overall stability
- Fixed issues with vibration being disabled during Quiet Hours
- Fixed lockscreen not updating the track information during music playback
- Fixed microphone volume for all formats in the Voice Recorder app
- Fixed “OK, Google” not triggering voice search in Google Now
- Fixed Viber calls not working
- Fixed battery percent not updating in custom lock screens
- Fixed PicasaSync
- Fixed Camera “O” gesture activating lockscreen instead of triggering camera
- Fixed wallpapers not applying in full screen, taking the wrong size when cropping, etc
Update: In addition to the above, we've noticed the following changes:
- Speaker volume while on a call is higher - this is a very welcome change, as the speaker used to be practically unusable unless you're in a totally silent room.
- Mic sensitivity when using voice commands is much improved - the One can finally hear what you're saying at an arm's length or more rather than just about an inch or two. If you use Google's Search app and interact with it using voice, the differences you will see are going to be night and day.
- The mobile data symbol in the notification area now shows LTE instead of 4G when using an LTE network.
- As part of Android 4.4.3/4.4.4, you will see a revamped dialer.
- The model number is now being reported as A0001 for some reason.
- Heads up notifications (Settings -> Notification drawer -> Heads up).
- You can now search in Settings.
Update 11:45am PT: We've pulled today's OTA update zip and made it available below for manual flashing. Considering it's only out for about 10% of devices right now, quite a few of you may be interested.
Download cm-bacon-d22b777afa-to-0428073396-signed.zip (KTU84P, XNPH30O):
File size: 113 MB (119,237,784 bytes)
Install: To install the update, boot into recovery, then sideload using adb sideload - if you've ever updated a Nexus device before, then you'll feel right at home, as the steps are exactly the same. If you're using TWRP, it will ask if you want to re-root at the end.