Google teased an upcoming release of the Play Store with Material Design element at I/O last month, and we actually got a pretty good look at the new version ourselves last week. Starting today, that new version, 4.9.13, is rolling out, and we've got the APK for you, as always. Take a look at this quick visual overview of the changes (we've got more images down below as well), and be sure to read Liam's post on the update for all the details.
This Play Store update marks the addition of a brand-new Material Design layout for app and other content pages, and the rollout has just begun, according to Googler Kirill Grouchnikov.
You can find previous versions here:
- [Update #2: 4.8.22] Latest Google Play Store 4.8.22 With PayPal Support, Simplified App Permissions, Bigger Buttons, And More [APK Download]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.6.16 / 4.6.17 With Batch App Install, New 'Require Password' Option, Tweaked UI, Forced Self-Update, And More [Updated]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.5.10 With Shared Play Store Activity, IAP Indicator, And More
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.4.22
App and content pages
Basically, everything you'll find in this post is here - Liam did an excellent job breaking down the various new elements of this update. 4.9.13 marks what we can only assume is an as-yet uncompleted shift to a Material layout, starting with app and other content pages. The basic navigation and most other parts of the Play Store seem untouched, though the changes to content pages are pretty huge.
The new app pages really are the story here - they've been redesigned from the ground up with new animations, a totally revamped layout that more heavily features +1s on content, and generally just looks a whole lot cleaner. I could go into exactly what's different, but that'd be kind of hard, because everything on app and content pages seems to have changed.
A few things we've noticed are app descriptions now go full-screen, and changelogs live in this area as well. App changelogs on the device Play Store are now only visible for apps you have installed, where they will appear in place of the app description (good! efficient!). For apps you don't have installed, you'll have to open the full description to see the changelog (less efficient!).
Video trailers now sit at the top of every listing that has one, instead of in the image gallery. App details like the date of last update, APK size, version, "Top Developer" text, and content are now in the full description section of apps, not on the main listing page. Permissions are also now found in the description area, as well as at the bottom of the listing via the permission details button.
File Size History
- com.android.vending-4.0.27.apk 5.89 MB (6,181,458 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.1.6.apk 5.75 MB (6,036,474 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk 5.76 MB (6,040,792 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.2.3.apk 5.76 MB (6,046,580 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.2.9.apk 5.84 MB (6,129,144 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.3.10.apk 5.75 MB (6,036,657 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.3.11.apk 5.75 MB (6,038,575 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.4.21.apk 5.84 MB (6,126,172 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.4.22.apk 5.84 MB (6,126,834 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.5.10.apk 6.62 MB (6,951,714 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.6.16.apk 6.21 MB (6,520,554 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.8.19.apk 6.85MB (7,015,533 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.8.20.apk 6.69 MB (7,015,601 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.8.22.apk 6.69 MB (7,016,172 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.9.13.apk 7.18 MB (7,538,155 bytes)
The APK is signed by Google and upgrades your existing app. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way. Rather than wait for Google to push this download to your devices, which can take days, download and install it just like any other APK.
File name: com.android.vending-4.9.13.apk
Version: 4.9.13 (Android 2.2+)
Thanks to Brandon for the APK!