Google might own Waze, but thankfully Mountain View isn't shutting down the social navigation service to bring it all in-house. In fact, Waze just got an update on Android to v3.8 with a few new features. Waze calls itself a social GPS app, so yeah, most of these features are social things.
Here's the full changelog for v3.8.
- Find friends on Waze by adding Contacts
- Send friend requests & manage your list
- New design for sending location
- Locations sent between friends are saved for future navigation
- Easily share drive from ETA screen
- See who’s viewing your shared drive
- Keep Waze on screen when answering calls
- Bug fixes
A lot of this looks like a replacement for the recently discontinued groups feature. You'll be able to use your contact list to find friends on Waze, then share location information with them. The new version should also make it easy to keep track of who has your location information. Interested? You know what to do.