There are a handful of video editors available for Android, but CyberLink is attempting to raise the bar with the release of its popular PowerDirector software for Android tablets. Immediately upon opening the app, experienced video editors will see a UI that looks familiar to that they've been using on desktops for years, albeit much simpler. Here it is running on a Nexus 7.
The interface is somewhat cramped on this device, which is why the app requires an Android tablet seven inches in size or more to use. And let's be honest, video editing isn't a role phones are all that cut out for, regardless of how many CPUs or geebees they're packing.
PowerDirector has a timeline editor with support for dragging and dropping video and audio clips. Users can trim or extend tracks, add text, and spice things up with numerous transitions. Once everything's ready to go, the app can export to 720p or 1080p if you're willing to pay the $4.95 one-time fee for the privilege.
- Android 4.1 (Jellybean) and above
Works best with:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 or higher
- Samsung Exynos 5xxx or higher
- Nvidia Tegra 3 or higher
- Mediatek MT8125 or higher
- Video: H.263 (.3PG, .MP4), H.264 AVC (.3PG, .MP4, .TS), MPEG-4 SP (.3PG), VP8 (.WEBM, .MKV)
- Image: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, WebP
- Audio: WAV, OGG, MKV, MID, XMF, MXMF, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, IMY, MID, MP3, FLAC, 3PG, MP4, M4A, AAC, TS
The Windows version goes for significantly more money and, unsurprisingly, is significantly more powerful (with quite a few awards to its name). Nevertheless, there's little reason not to give this release a shot on an Android tablet for the occasional simple home video. The Play Store link's below, followed by the full press release with more details.
CyberLink Unveils Award-Winning PowerDirector for Android & Windows 8 Tablets
Latest release in company’s growing family of powerful, mobile apps that change the way consumers create and play, puts professional-quality video creation in the palm of your hand
TAIPEI, Taiwan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CyberLink Corp. (5203.TW), a global leader in consumer multimedia software, today brings its award-winning PC video editor PowerDirector to Android and Windows 8 tablets. Having already been recognized as a leader in the prosumer video editing market by several respected PC publications, Android and Windows 8 tablet users can now experience the professional-grade video editing capabilities of PowerDirector—such as a timeline workspace, and drag-and-drop for more accurate editing. The app is available for free in both the Google Play and Windows app stores.
“Increasingly, our customers are using mobile devices to capture videos, and they’ve asked for the same feature-rich, professional quality tools that they find in their desktop applications,” said Alice H. Chang, CyberLink CEO. “We are helping them to change the way they ‘create and play’ by putting the tools right where they are capturing the videos; we are proud to bring our award-winning prosumer video editing features to tablet devices through a powerful, free app. This is just the beginning, as we will be adding many more new features in the near-term in coming updates.”
In less than a year, CyberLink has extended its mobile app offerings with great success; for example, the recently-launched YouCam Perfect has been downloaded more than 1,500,000 times in less than three months. PowerDirector builds on success, opening a world of feature rich, powerful video editing that is optimized for the small screen without sacrificing performance.
Key Features of PowerDirector Mobile include:
- Drag-and-drop functionality to quickly import videos, photos and audio, as well as add effects, transitions and text
- The ability to trim, extend, order and split video and audio tracks
- A wide library of video effects, transitions and text titles to choose from
- The ability to easily save your projects on your device to continue editing later
- The ability to export your creations to amazing Full HD
- Built-in tools for immediate sharing to Facebook and YouTube
- Easy access to saved projects which are available right when the app is launched