Amazon is now distributing an OTA update for the Fire OS that powers the Kindle Fire HD and HDX tablets. Version 3.1 brings deeper Goodreads integration, so users can more easily share favorite quotes with others, view what their friends are reading, and leave reviews. Readers can also import their Amazon library directly into the social network. This may not be the most exciting new feature, but it makes perfect sense for a tablet that is descendent from a line of e-readers.
Fire OS 3.1 updates Amazon's Second Screen service, which lets users send content from their tablet to a TV à la Chromecast. It currently supports Samsung Smart TVs and the PlayStation 3, with the PlayStation 4 set to join the list soon. And for people who don't use their Kindle Fire as a leisure device, this OTA introduces the ability to connect to secure enterprise Wi-Fi networks as well as support for wireless printing.
Additional new features:
- Cloud Collections helps you organize your books, newspapers, magazines, and apps in customized collections for easy reference, and Amazon’s Whispersync technology synchronizes the collections across your Kindle devices and reading apps so they’re available on all of your devices.
- Voice dictation converts your speech to text—available in all languages when online; offline support available in US English.
- 1-Tap archive which frees up space on your Kindle Fire by identifying items that have not been recently used and provides a 1-tap option to store them in the Cloud for later retrieval.
- Wireless printing of photos, PDF, e-mails, contacts, calendar and docs.
- New accessibility enhancements that enable blind and visually impaired customers to save a separate accessibility profile for children in Kindle FreeTime, scroll lists automatically when swipe navigating, hear enhanced sound feedback and screen orientation changes announced, and have more control when editing text and navigating web content.
- Dozens more new features, performance and battery life improvements, and bug fixes.
Users can wait for the new version to arrive automatically or hit up the link below to download and install it manually.