Fans of classic beat-em-ups, it's time to get excited. while it's true that there are more than a few entries in this genre available on the Play Store already, almost all of them owe at least some inspiration to the great Double Dragon of arcade fame. DotEmu, no slouch when it comes to breathing new life into classics, is bringing all three of the original games to the Play Store sometime in the near future.
Double Dragon, DD2: The Revenge, and DD3: The Rosetta Stone will be released in a single compilation titled Double Dragon Trilogy. Pretty much everything you love about the original side-scrolling fighters is being preserved or updated, and that isn't limited to the aesthetics. DotEmu will build in support for Bluetooth controllers, user-customizable touchscreen controls, multiple difficulty levels, online leaderboards, and (wait for it) a co-op mode. Players will be able to take on the games with another fighter, the way the Good Lord intended, via a local Bluetooth connection.
DotEmu isn't saying exactly when Double Dragon Trilogy will be released, but "coming soon" sounds like before the end of the year to me. Get your punching fingers ready. In the meantime, the developer has other masochistically hard classics for you to abuse yourself with, including Raiden Legacy and the original R-Type.
Double Dragon Trilogy fights its way onto iOS & Android!
Paris, France – October 29th, 2013 – DotEmu, developer and publisher specializing in modern releases of beloved retro games, announces the end-of-year release of Double Dragon Trilogy on iPhone, iPad and Android devices. A groundbreaking, uber-popular game upon its arcade debut in 1987, Double Dragon is the undisputed godfather of co-op beat ‘em all!
Enter Double Dragon Trilogy, a compilation specially optimized for mobiles and which includes all three installments of the beloved arcade series: Double Dragon, Double Dragon 2: The Revenge, and Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone. The first one begins with Billy and his brother Jimmy, two martial arts experts, in a mission to rescue Billy's girlfriend, Marian, who’s been kidnapped by the Black Shadows Gang. All your favorite moves are here: punches, kicks, elbows, knees, head-butts and an assortment of not-exactly-street-legal weapons.
- Two game modes: “Arcade” (play the game from beginning to end and go for the high score) and “Story” (unlock new stages and achievements while playing through the game)
- Customizable controls
- Three difficulty levels: “mobile” (specially balanced for mobile games), “original” (similar to the arcade version) and “expert” (a real challenge!)
- Achievements & leaderboards via Game Center and Google Play Game Service
- Choose between the original 8-bit soundtrack and a brand-new remastered one!
- Co-op mode (two players) via bluetooth
- Gamepad support: compatible with most Android controllers and soon with most iOS controllers too
Battle your way through all 3 titles and bask in the greatness of one of the ‘80s most popular arcade games!