Kids these days have it so easy. When I was a rugrat me and my sister shared a 100Mhz Windows 95 machine that Dad scrounged out of spare parts, and we were happy to have it. If you feel like irresponsibly trusting your child with an expensive electronic gadget of their very own, Samsung is happy to oblige with the Kids edition of the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 3. This ruggedized tablet with kid-specific software goes on sale on November 10th at the usual retailers, plus Toys 'R' Us, for $229.99.
The tablet's Kids moniker comes from the fact that it includes a special impact-resistant case and a ton of software tweaks, including enhanced parental controls and a restricted app store specifically for children. The parental controls are especially robust: in addition to the standard app and time restrictions, the Galaxy Tab 3 Kids uses dual operating modes, one with full Android and Google Play access and one with a restricted access and a kid-friendly interface. Customized system apps and an appreciable amount of bundled games and educational content are included.
You're still getting the rather lackluster Galaxy Tab 3 hardware underneath it all. This includes a 7-inch, 1024x600 screen, 1.2Ghz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage plus a MicroSD card slot, a 3MP rear camera, and Android 4.1. The price is a $30 premium over the regular 7-inch Tab 3, and it compares poorly to some of the Fuhu Nabi kid's tablets, with the comparable Nabi 2 starting at $180 (which, admittedly, lacks Google Play access). If you think you'll need extraordinary protection for your Tab 3 Kids, a version with hard travel case will be available for $250.
DALLAS –Oct. 28, 2013 – Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile), a leader in tablet choice, today introduced the Galaxy Tab 3 Kids, a tablet designed for kids and parents alike. Featuring dual operating modes, the Galaxy Tab 3 Kids lets parents easily switch between Kids mode and Standard mode. In Standard mode, parents can enjoy a traditional Android tablet experience and many of the benefits of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 3 7-inch.
The Galaxy Tab 3 Kids comes equipped with parental controls, educational and entertainment apps, and unique content just for kids in a fun, interactive and secure family tablet. The Galaxy Tab 3 Kids will be available for pre-order beginning Nov. 1, launching in stores Nov. 10 for $229.99, and comes with a protective bumper case.
The Galaxy Tab 3 Kids features a bright, colorful display and an intuitive Kids mode that children can easily navigate. The new 7-inch Wi-Fi tablet’s content-rich features create a dynamic, interactive and fun experience for kids while keeping them safe and secure.
The tablet is packed with free pre-loaded content and entertainment specifically for kids, including game applications. The Galaxy Tab 3 Kids lets users browse apps in the Samsung Apps store, with an added level of protection through the Applications Manager. The Applications Manager allows parents to review and manage the apps their kids can access, giving full control over what apps are purchased and explored. Kids can also discover and request new content by creating a wish list within the new Kids Store. Parents can then review and purchase the apps they think are appropriate for their child.
Pre-loaded content and features include:
· Special Kid’s Interface: Easily access kid-specific content through the easy to navigate user interface, including kid-friendly apps and games.
· Kid-Friendly Games: Toca Train, Wipeout, Fruit Ninja, Disney’s Toy Story: Smash It! and Where’s My Perry? and more.
· Educational Apps: Learn ABCs and 123s with educational apps including I Learn With Ocean, Dolphin Reader, Inventions 2 and Kids Planet Discovery
· Built-In Camera: Capture moments or create movies with the 3-megapixel rear-facing camera and 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera. In Kids mode, the camera features fun and interactive settings that let kids add stickers or costumes to photos.
· Parental Controls: Manage a child’s tablet experience, including what content kids can access, as well as when and how long they use the tablet at one time. In addition, you can control the transition between Standard mode and Kids mode with PIN-based access.
· Built-For-Kids Case: Protect the lightweight, portable tablet from bumps and bruises with the colorful, easy-to-hold case available in orange.
The Galaxy Tab 3 Kids comes with access to additional content and services through Galaxy Perks, including a $10 credit for the purchase of applications, books, movies and music in Google Play; free 12-months of Boingo Mobile Wi-Fi access; 3-Month Hulu Plus Membership for new users; two years of up to 50GB of DropBox storage; and more. Learn more about Galaxy Perks athttp://www.samsung.com/us/galaxyperks.
The Galaxy Tab 3 Kids will be available for pre-order beginning Nov. 1 and in stores Nov. 10 for $229.99 at Samsung.com, Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, Office Depot, Sam’s Club, Tiger Direct and Toys “R” Us. In addition, a Galaxy Tab 3 Kids hard case bundle will be offered starting at $249.99.