If your cable or satellite provider has an app, odds are it's pretty terrible. I mean, have you seen the Comcast app? The DIRECTV app used to fall into the same category, but no more. The 3.0 update is a complete redesign.
Here's the changelog for this update:
- Completely redesigned look and navigation
- New Menu to make browsing your content easier
- New TV Shows section
- New filter capabilities based on where you want to view your programming- on your phone or on your TV
- Set your favorite channels in the guide
- Redesigned Info Page for a more visual experience
- New Watch Button that combines all the ways you can watch a program on your phone or TV into a single location
Basically, most of the points are different ways of saying the UI is new. Things are arranged more logically, and the slide out navigation panel, while not #HOLOYOLO, is pretty useful. A few screens from the old app are embedded below for comparison. The app also seems to be native now – not just a crappy web frame. DIRECTV customers should grab the update and be happy they're not Comcast customers.