Google Glass Explorers are in for a treat today as the monthly update to Google's wearable computer is starting to rollout right now. This update continues the trend of incremental improvements to the device, but Google is at least responding to some user requests with XE8.
Here's the condensed changelog from Google:
- Video Player: Tap a video to play it. Tap again to pause. If you missed something important, swipe backward to rewind, or swipe forward to skip the boring parts.
- Path and Evernote voice actions: You can now update your Path feed by saying "ok glass, post an update." Similarly, sending a note to Evernote is as easy as saying "ok glass, take a note." More Glassware apps coming soon.
- Volume card in Settings: Set Glass' volume from a new dedicated card in Glass' Settings bundle. Or adjust it while in a phone or video call by tapping and setting it through card actions.
- Check your timeline while in a video call
- New contextual voice commands for Navigation: Show route overview, Hide route overview, Stop directions
- Add a caption by voice after taking a picture or video: Share a picture or video and, when prompted on the display with the magic words "ok glass," say "ok glass, add caption."
- #Hashtags in captions: When adding a caption, say hashtag and then the topic at hand. For instance, adding a caption like "hashtag cute" becomes "#cute."
- Improved SMS support
- Google Now cards: Reservations and events, Movies, Public alerts, Birthday alerts
Getting more Glassware apps in on the voice actions could be a big step, even though it's only supported by two apps at launch. We're beginning to see a little bit more of what Glass could one day be. And who doesn't like hashtags? The update will hit all Glass units in the next few days.