Do you live your life to the fullest? Do you wish you could remember every day of it? Are you doing the opposite, wasting your life away and wishing you could turn things around? Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, you can do all of these things! 1 Second Everyday is a video-recording app that asks users to record just one second of their life everyday, and at the end of the year they will have a six-minute video of how they lived their life that year. Interested? Just wait, there's more.
Actually, no, there isn't much more to 1 Second Everyday than that. What's interesting about this app isn't the functionality, it's the concept. It can be life-changing for a person to watch their life play out over a long period of time. The drive to find something worth recording can even push people to live more involved, passionate lives. The app's creator recorded a portion of his life prior to creating the app, and he's provided a first-person look at what being 30 was like for him.
And here's his life at 31:
Awesome, right? But make no mistake, this is a commitment. Anyone excited by this idea has to remember to record something every day for an entire year, or if they're even more dedicated, the rest of their lives. Going even further, a user has to want to do this. Some people already whip out their smartphones whenever something exciting happens, capturing a photo or short clip of the moment. Others may view such behavior as living passively. Whipping out their camera pulls them out of the moment and relegates them to the sidelines. For them, it just kills the mood.
- The App accesses any videos recorded on your phone & sorts them by date. You can also record your moment directly from the App.
- Setup friendly reminders so you never forget a day!
- Keep multiple timelines! You could have one for yourself… for each of your kids… your dinner… what you wear every day… etc! Looking forward to endless creative interpretations!
- Backup your seconds with Google Drive!
- Compile any given amount of time desired—the last month, year, or just select a start and end date.
- Post your compilations directly to your social networks.
- Your seconds are privately held on your phone. You never have to share this with anyone if you don't want to. The primary purpose of this App is to help you remember your own life. Sharing is optional.
The functionality here isn't impossible to do elsewhere. I personally would be happy with taking a single photograph each day. Someone else could even prefer to record several minutes and dedicate a decent-sized hard drive solely to maintaining their life video. But 1 Second Everyday removes much of the extra hassle. It began as a Kickstarter project and secured over 11,281 backers, so clearly a lot of people think it is a great idea.
If you're willing to make the plunge, 1 Second Everyday provides a calendar for tracking your progress and reminders to edge you along. The app is free for 30 days, after which it only costs 99 cents to continue. I'm curious to know what kind of experiences people manage to cram into a year. Have fun, and get back to us in 2014. We would love to see your six-minute clips.