A couple of hours ago, the Android 4.3 system dump was leaked for the Nexus 4, and while I was digging through it, I found that it contained an updated Play Store, version 4.2.3. The latest Play Store currently used by Google is 4.1.10.
And a few earlier ones:
- Google Play Store Update 4.9.13 Adds Material Design App And Content Pages [APK Download]
- [Update #2: 4.8.22] Latest Google Play Store 4.8.22 With PayPal Support, Simplified App Permissions, Bigger Buttons, And More [APK Download]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.6.16 / 4.6.17 With Batch App Install, New 'Require Password' Option, Tweaked UI, Forced Self-Update, And More [Updated]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.5.10 With Shared Play Store Activity, IAP Indicator, And More
I've looked through it, and from what I can tell, it has some sort of additions related to the new functionality for restricting user access to Google Play. I suspect this is used in multi-user situations, where the primary user doesn't want secondary ones to be able to install things, but I haven't been able to confirm it just yet on the Nexus 7. Maybe there is a new menu that shows up in Android 4.3...
Another theory proposed by commenter Markus is that it's possible that this new functionality is meant for restricting Play Store's usage on devices that aren't licensed to use it and don't come with it pre-installed, which would... suck, though I don't see how Google could enforce it.
There is a new Activity called com.google.android.finsky.activities.AccessRestrictedActivity and this related new string:
<string name="limited_user_text">"You don't have permission to use Google Play Store."</string>
That's about it based on a quick teardown but if you notice anything else, please drop us a line below.
File Size History
- com.android.vending-3.5.19.apk 3.81MB (4,000,309 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.11.apk 5.07MB (5,319,551 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.13.apk 5.07MB (5,322,241 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.15.apk 5.07MB (5,322,517 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.8.15.apk 5.35MB (5,618,814 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.8.17.apk 5.35MB (5,618,730 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.9.16.apk 5.22 MB (5,482,490 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.9.17.apk 5.34 MB (5,610,397 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.9.apk 5.87 MB (6,158,861 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.10.apk 5.87 MB (6,160,306 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.14.apk 5.88 MB (6,174,123 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.0.25.apk 5.89 MB (6,183,354 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.0.26.apk 5.89 MB (6,181,405 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.0.27.apk 5.89 MB (6,181,458 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.1.6.apk 5.75 MB (6,036,474 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk 5.76 MB (6,040,792 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.2.3.apk 5.76 MB (6,046,580 bytes)
The APK is signed by Google and upgrades your existing Play Store. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way. Rather than wait for Google to push this download to your devices, which can take weeks, download and install it just like any other APK and enjoy the new Play Store experience.