The launch of the world's most hyped Android-powered mini console might have been something of a dud, but at least the creators are keeping up the support. The first major update after Ouya's release includes some substantial improvements to the app/game store, most notably PIN security for purchases (to make sure those meddling kids don't empty Mommy and Daddy's checking account) and support for pre-paid gift cards. Card totals can now be applied towards new games or in-app purchases. The news came from the Forums section of the Ouya developer page.
Other additions include a new and more user-friendly Game Details page, changes to the game download dialog (which can now be cancelled), and the ability to create new users after logging out. One change that's a bit strange is that game downloads will be paused if you begin a game, purportedly to keep a high level of performance. That should help, but with bigger and bigger game downloads on Android, it will mean a lot of waiting around without being able to play a game you've already downloaded. Bummer.
Other general visual tweaks and bug fixes abound. The full list of changes for the 1.0.328 firmware is below.
Here is the changelog for 1.0.328:
- Game Details page has been re-designed:
- Images and buttons now easier to navigate
- Selecting (Pressing the (O) button on) an image will show it full screen
- Description text no longer flows off screen.
- “More Info” button allows user to read full description text
- Longer titles now accommodated better
- Queued downloads now display as "In Queue…"
- Ratings system has been updated to use a more intuitive system of age ranges
- Founders Icon for games now appears on the Game Details page. Thanks for believing!
- Download behavior changes:
- Game downloads can now be cancelled!
- Downloads have been limited to 1 to increase performance while navigating during a download
- Downloads are paused when a game is running to maintain best performance while playing. They resume automatically when exiting the game
- Downloads now start in the order they were queued
- Downloads give a clear indication when there is not enough space left to accommodate them
- Added the ability to set a PIN code for purchases. Parents rejoice! This can be found in under MANAGE -> ACCOUNT -> PARENTAL CONTROLS
- Added support for redeeming pre-paid cards. They can be redeemed when creating a new user, or from the MANAGE -> ACCOUNT -> PAYMENTS screen
- Re-flowed in-game purchases to accommodate pre-paid cards. Allows the user to fix purchase errors without leaving the game.
- Logging out now allows users to log in or create a new user
- PLAY category now sorts by most recently played or downloaded
- Changed background image. Style points +1
- Changed layout of Network screen to match the new user experience.
- Changed the look of more dialogs to have the OUYA theme
- Fixed bug that could cause the account screen to appear to not respond to user input
- Fixed a bug that could occur when getting a system update while out of space
- New repository with 3rd party game engine examples:https://github.com/ouya/ouya-sdk-examples/
Update: looks like there's an even newer release, with a few more bug fixes. Sorry about that - the Ouya RSS feed seems a little pokey. Here's the short list of changes for version 1.0.346, and thanks to commenter Vibrunazo for pointing out the discrepancy.
- Fixed changing passwords through Gamers Portal blocking users
- Fixed purchases not working when changing to a Dev account
- Fixed simultaneous button presses not registering in some MP games