Welcome to the Android Police Podcast, Episode 58.
Don't forget - the Android Police Podcast's live broadcast is every Thursday at 5PM PST (www.androidpolice.com/podcast). The unedited video version of the podcast can be found here - and will likely include various verbal expletives, technical snafus, tangents, and probably a good 5-10 minutes of pre-podcast banter as we prepare. Watch at your own risk!
Subscribe to the Android Police Podcast:
- Matthew Smith, Host
- Bob Severns, Editor, A/V
- David Ruddock, Co-host
- Cameron Summerson, Co-host
- Eric Ravenscraft, Co-host
- Dish, Sprint, Clearwire and Softbank all want to buy each other in a weird carrier love quadrangle. Verizon is acting like an awkward fifth wheel.
- Verizon is also getting greedy when it comes to upgrade term limits. Sheesh, dude.
- LG is gonna do a thing on May 1st. It's probably the Optimus G Pro.
- Google releases the My Glass companion app for the Google Glass that you wish you could get your hands on. But you can't. Plebian.
- You can, however, have an APK teardown, wherein Ron discovers Google Games. Unifying messenger and games across platforms? Google, you shouldn't have! (Yes you should.)
- A major executive of a company said positive things about upcoming products from a subsidiary of said company. In other news, people who like ice cream think ice cream is great.
- There are 1.5m Android phones activated every day, which is insane. Some of them run Facebook Home, which Google is totally cool with.
- Meanwhile, Motorola's design chief says he's aiming for phones that are "just right," running "unadulterated" Android, and have the same branding across carriers. Neat.
- Sprint, T-Mobile and C-Spire announce their Galaxy S 4 availability.
- The HTC First arrives on AT&T for $99 on contract. Doors are not busted.
- HTC recruits Dawnson (without his creek) to do a weird parody ad that is eventually pulled because it's so awful.
- ASUS' Fonepad shows up on eBay Daily Deals, but you are instructed not to want it.
- Same goes for the ASUS Transformer AiO P1801 WTF BBQ XL.
- Archos announces some new phones that straddle the line between cheap and not-crappy, because that's how Archos rolls.
- Device Updates: Droid Bionic updated to Android 4.1.2, AT&T LG Escape updated to Android 4.1, Xperia Tablet S updated to Android 4.1.1.
- David has over 9,000 words to say about the HTC One. That's not a reference to an old meme. That's the actual number of words.
- Cameron likes Facebook Home a lot more than you think he does, but it's still really only for the Facebook faithful. The Faceful, if you will.
- Facebook also rolls out voice calling via Messenger to U.S. users so you can talk to your talk heads while you chat with your Chat Heads.
- FL Studio arrives on Android, costs $20 and appears to be worth every friggin' penny.