An incremental update to the massively refreshed Google Play Store started rolling out yesterday evening. The new version is 4.0.26 while the previous version from April 9th was 4.0.25.
And a few earlier ones:
- Google Play Store Update 4.9.13 Adds Material Design App And Content Pages [APK Download]
- [Update #2: 4.8.22] Latest Google Play Store 4.8.22 With PayPal Support, Simplified App Permissions, Bigger Buttons, And More [APK Download]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.6.16 / 4.6.17 With Batch App Install, New 'Require Password' Option, Tweaked UI, Forced Self-Update, And More [Updated]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.5.10 With Shared Play Store Activity, IAP Indicator, And More
As expected, there are no major changes in this release, just minor bug fixes, as confirmed by Ron's quick teardown and comparison. I also dug around and found one more changed file Ron didn't mention - something called AutoUpdateMigrationHelper. It's not obvious what this Activity does, but likely nothing important.
Additionally, we started seeing reports of the Play Store's featured/promotional and recommended content coming back to life for those of you outside the U.S. The 4.0 update broke the functionality for many (though to be fair, Google warned that the update was only officially rolling out in the U.S. for the time being), but it looks like Google started repopulating this content in certain areas. Some are getting both recommendations and featured, while others are only seeing the former. Something is better than blank pages though, right? For further info, see here and here. We've confirmed that 4.0.26 has no bearing on this aspect of the Play Store - the timing is just a coincidence.
Even though v4.0.26 doesn't contain big improvements, we always try to make the latest version of the Play Store available to anyone looking for it. As before, you will find 3 mirrors towards the bottom of this page as well as one multi-mirror.
As a refresher, here are the main highlights of the big 4.0 redesign. The new Play Store looks a lot better, especially on tablets. It groups similar content together, continues showing recommendations as you keep scrolling, and simplifies the purchasing process. Each app in lists now has a handy Install button - just click the menu icon at the top right corner of any card, then press Install. Furthermore, in-app purchases can now be performed without leaving the context of the app you're in. And finally, the annoying post-install screen that appeared a short while ago is also gone.
File Size History
- com.android.vending-3.5.19.apk 3.81MB (4,000,309 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.11.apk 5.07MB (5,319,551 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.13.apk 5.07MB (5,322,241 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.15.apk 5.07MB (5,322,517 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.8.15.apk 5.35MB (5,618,814 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.8.17.apk 5.35MB (5,618,730 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.9.16.apk 5.22 MB (5,482,490 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.9.17.apk 5.34 MB (5,610,397 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.9.apk 5.87 MB (6,158,861 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.10.apk 5.87 MB (6,160,306 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.14.apk 5.88 MB (6,174,123 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.0.25.apk 5.89 MB (6,183,354 bytes)
- com.android.vending-4.0.26.apk 5.89 MB (6,181,405 bytes)
The APK is signed by Google and upgrades your existing Play Store. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way. Rather than wait for Google to push this download to your devices, which can take weeks, download and install it just like any other APK and enjoy the new Play Store experience.