Well guys, after lots of wishing/hoping/praying, fullscreen is finally available on Chrome for Android. The phone-specific feature made its way into Chrome 27 – which currently just hit the beta channel – alongside a few other useful features:
The Chrome Team is happy to announce the promotion of Chrome 27 to the Beta channel for Android. Chrome 27.0.1453.49 contains a number of great new updates including:
- Fullscreen on phones - Scroll down the page and the toolbar will disappear.
- Simpler searching - Searching from the omnibox will keep your search query visible in the omnibox, making it easier to edit, and show more on your search result page.
- Client-side certificate support - You can now access sites that require you to use a certificate and Chrome will allow you to select an installed certificate
- Tab history on tablets - Long press the browser back button to view your tab history
Of course, there are still some known issues that will likely be worked out in future builds:
- Noticeable lag in text entry on some text fields
- chrome://history sometimes show duplicate items
- Opening tabs is sometimes slow
- Pages may flicker sometimes, especially during navigation
The update is live in the Play Store now – head below to get it!