The lads at the Android Open Kang Project have been busy expanding the 4.2 version of their custom ROM, thankfully expanding on the three officially supported devices in the initial release. For Build 2, all four major US variants of the Galaxy S III are supported (but not the international version), as well as the Nexus 7 3G, and the Nexus 10 for good measure. Flash-ready ROM files are available on the AOKP website for the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 7 WiFi as well.
In addition to basic bugfixes, the AOKP team has added a bunch of customization options to the statusbar, lockscreen, and navigation bar, bringing back a fair amount of the settings found in older releases (though sadly there's no option for the now-outdated tablet UI). There's also a significant bug for the Galaxy S III: WiFi tethering isn't working, so if you depend on this feature, you may want to hold off for a later release.
The developers recommend a full wipe, and as always with this family of ROMs, you'll need to download and flash Gapps.
- General UI
- Boot animation picker enhancements
- Colorable clock views/widgets
- Option to hide initial page hints
- Start lockscreen with minimized challenge
- Longpress on minimized challenge to unlock
- Carousel animation
- Navigation Bar
- Colorable NavBar background
- Recents menu opens with lightning speed
- Alternative signal layout (GB-style)
- New toggle: Sound state (ring/vib/silent)
- Mobile technology indicator reflects internet connection status
- Powerkey shutter
- Call statistics - Phone app / local menu