Update: Right on time, it looks like US Cellular's 4.1.1 update for the Galaxy SIII is available to users, and their software page has been updated to reflect the SIII's new firmware (which, for those curious, carries base band version R53OUVXALK5).
Samsung Updates also has the SIII's latest firmware available for download here. For instructions on updating your SIII, just hit the US Cellular link at the bottom of this post.
Original Story: If you're a US Cellular customer toting around a Galaxy SIII, you can expect to get your hands on Samsung's TouchWiz-coated Jelly Bean update for the device starting this Friday, December 21.
Announced in an official press email, the update brings the SIII to Android 4.1, and carries Jelly Bean enhancements we've all come to know and love like Google Now, rich notifications, and others along with Samsung's own TouchWiz tweaks. Here's a quick look at the Samsung-specific enhancements users can expect:
Samsung refined and enhanced the Galaxy S III experience by adding new capabilities to the camera, video and user interface, including:
- Camera Enhancements:
- New live camera and camcorder filters offer a range of new ways to spark your creativity. Warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights(blue, green, red/yellow), and many more are selectable from the main camera screen.
- Pause and resume while recording video allows users to string together multiple captured video clips from a party, birthday or sporting event into a single file with no post editing required.
- Low light photo mode takes advantage of Galaxy S III’s best-in-class High Dynamic Range (HDR) capabilities and offers an optimized mode for low light and indoor photos.
- Pop Up Play Update: Users can now easily resize or pause the Pop Up Play picture-in-picture video window, taking full advantage of the Galaxy S III’s powerful processor and large 4.8-inch screen.
- Easy Mode:Easy Mode is a simplified user experience option for first-time smartphone owners, providing large home screen widgets that focus on the device essentials. The Easy widgets include both 4x2 and 4x4 arrangements of favorite contacts, favorite apps, favorite settings, clock and alarm.
- Blocking Mode:Galaxy S III owners can disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms and LED indicators for a designated period of time.
- Improved Usability: Users now have multiple keyboard options with the addition of the Swype® keyboard.
Instructions for updating your Galaxy SIII – either via KIES or over the air – will be available at US Cellular's own update page (linked below) starting Friday. For more information on the update, head to Samsung's standard Galaxy SIII Jelly Bean press release below. Otherwise, sit tight – the wait for Jelly Bean is almost over.