Google has released version 2.0 of the Currents app for Android, and a whole pile of new features are in store. Before we get much further, here's the changelog:
What's new in 2.0?
* Edition sidebar - quickly access your editions within categories such as business, sports, etc.
* Fast scan - Vertical swipe to scan an edition, horizontal swipe advances to next edition
* Edition-section chooser - Choose “Customize” to filter out sections
* Unread marks - Read stories are marked. (Setting to hide)
* Breaking stories - ranked by Google News. Links to full length content.
* Saved stories - star for future reference
* New catalog design
Yeah, that's a lot of new stuff. A Currents widget is a notable one, along with the Edition sidebar UI and fast scan view, which allow you to swipe through various categories or choose them from a list. And as has always been the case with Currents, everything is very, very pretty.
You can now star stories to save them to look at later, stories have read / unread indicators, and there's a brand-new Breaking stories section where you can see the latest handpicked articles from Google News. This is definitely the biggest update we've seen to Currents yet, and every time, we can't help but notice how much more awesome it gets.
Head to the Play Store to get it now. You can also check out this post on the official Android blog, describing the update.