Google is pushing out an updated Google Play Store version 3.10.9 that follows the previous versions 3.9.16 and 3.9.17. As always, we have the APK for your downloading pleasure (thanks, @WinDroidGuy!).
And a few earlier ones:
- Google Play Store Update 4.9.13 Adds Material Design App And Content Pages [APK Download]
- [Update #2: 4.8.22] Latest Google Play Store 4.8.22 With PayPal Support, Simplified App Permissions, Bigger Buttons, And More [APK Download]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.6.16 / 4.6.17 With Batch App Install, New 'Require Password' Option, Tweaked UI, Forced Self-Update, And More [Updated]
- Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.5.10 With Shared Play Store Activity, IAP Indicator, And More
So far, I noticed a new screen that pops up after you start installing new apps. The screen serves as an interstitial between the last installation step we're all used to and jumping back to the screen with the progress. It does help shine additional spotlight on app discovery thanks to a clickable Users Also Installed block of apps, but it feels more like an annoying filler page that you want to skip when opening an article on something like Forbes.com. The additional screen only increases the amount of clicks needed to install a new app and go back to other parts of the Play Store, so I'm definitely not a fan. To be clear, Keep Shopping returns you to the app you are installing (also shown on the right):
Left: 3.10.9; Right: 3.9.17
Next up: a Remove icon in My Wishlist similar to the icon that was added to the All tab of My Apps last time around. A small but welcome change for quicker wishlist cleanup.
Left: 3.10.9; Right: 3.9.17
Update #1: The Play Store now requests two more permissions: ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION and ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION - both location permissions of varying accuracy. It's unclear right now what it uses them for.
Update #2: A large chunk of the additional space (300KB) is taken up by a new library Google has bundled in called keyczar. I don't think there's anything interesting here, as the Wallet APK (and probably other Google apps) bundles it as well, and it's related to cryptography.
Update #3: There is a new Translate button next to app descriptions that shows up if your system language is set to something other than English (or maybe it tries to match the declared app language with your system language - I'm not sure). Either way, it's a great addition for those of you who may need help with translation (thanks, Floris and Marius for spotting this change!):
Left: before translation - description still in English; Right: translation
Update #4: There is now an Improve these recommendations button at the top of Recommended for You (thanks for spotting this one, ZZ!). I'm not too sure exactly how it works, as clicking each name just opens up the Google Plus circles dialog, and clicking Add adds people to the Friends circle. I suppose, adding people to your Google Plus circles will help the recommendation algorithm behind the scenes. I'd like to clear this up right now though: you cannot see other people's apps - this is not a way to share app lists explicitly.
Also, perhaps the new location permissions are related to finding people you may know and determining your area more accurately (some apps are recommended based on popularity in your area).
File Size History
- com.android.vending-3.5.19.apk 3.81MB (4,000,309 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.11.apk 5.07MB (5,319,551 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.13.apk 5.07MB (5,322,241 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.7.15.apk 5.07MB (5,322,517 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.8.15.apk 5.35MB (5,618,814 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.8.17.apk 5.35MB (5,618,730 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.9.16.apk 5.22 MB (5,482,490 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.9.17.apk 5.34 MB (5,610,397 bytes)
- com.android.vending-3.10.9.apk 5.87 MB (6,158,861 bytes)
The APK is signed by Google and installs right on top of any other Play Store version. It is safe to install it if you don't wish to wait for an automatic update to be pushed to your device on a schedule you don't control. Just download it and install as you would any other APK.