Amazon's just announced not one, but
two a few new Kindle Fires: the Fire and Fire HD 7/8.9. The former is a slight bump in spec and drop in price from its predecessor:
- Faster 1.2GHz OMAP4430 dual-core processor
- 7" 1024x600 IPS LCD display, 169ppi
- 2-point multi-touch
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB storage
- Android 4.0 underpinning
- Stereo speakers
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (single-band), though no support for ad-hoc networks
- Longer battery life (8.5 hours of continuous use)
- No camera or microphone
- 14.1oz (400 grams)
- Free month of Amazon Prime
- X-Ray for Movies and Books, Immersion Reading, Whispersync for Voice, and more
Other than that, Amazon was very scant on details. It's clear that the company really wanted to focus on the new HD models. No surprise there, they are, after all, pretty impressive for what they're offering.
The new Fire will be $160 and begin beginning September 14th.
Update: You can pre-order the new Fire from here.