And a few earlier ones:
A new Google Play Store update v3.8.15 has just started rolling out to Android devices. The new version updates 3.7.15 from the end of July, and so far outside of a minor cosmetic change, I wasn't able to pin down just what exactly is new. Something definitely is, because the apk is 300KB larger than the three previous 3.7.XX ones. Here are some historical sizes:
- com.android.vending-3.5.19.apk 3.81MB
- com.android.vending-3.7.11.apk 5.07MB
- com.android.vending-3.7.13.apk 5.07MB
- com.android.vending-3.7.15.apk 5.07MB
- com.android.vending-3.8.15.apk 5.35MB
As you can see, each time the Play Store was updated to the next 3.X, there was a considerable jump in file size (as well as functionality).
Update: And here's the explanation for the increase in size: Google Is Gearing Up To Finally Introduce Play Store Gift Cards and A Wishlist [APK Teardown].
The cosmetic change I was talking about is nothing more than simple underlining of tabs. It's possible there are more sizable changes in non-app parts of the Play Store, but I haven't found them just yet. If you do, definitely let us know!
Here are some things I checked for:
- More tabs or sort/filter options in the My Apps UI - nada.
- Long-pressing on apps in My Apps and hoping for a context menu - no way.
- Anything new in app reviews/comments - you wish.
- More tabs in app browsing (perhaps the return of the Just In section) - nope.
- New Settings - zilch.
- Saving the position in a scrolled down list of apps after clicking into an app and back - yes! Just kidding, it's not there.
- New sections or UI elements on app pages - do svidanya.
And now for some screenshots and download links.
- Android Police mirror #1 (don't mind the Nexus 7 folder - we had to pick one to be able to upload)
- Android Police mirror #3
- Android Police multi-mirror
Thanks, Luis Coelho!