Another update to Facebook for Android has rolled around, and even though it doesn't bring the complete overhaul so many people desire, it does bring some helpful changes. In addition to the usual bug fixes, version 1.9.7 speeds up the login process as well as navigating through the app, and front-facing camera support has been added.
Unfortunately for some, the update requires your device to be on Android 2.2 or above, meaning that the < 6% of users on Android 2.1 and below are stuck on the current version.
It is a manual update to the fact that it now requires the (unexplained) "Read phone state and identity" permission.
The full changelog is available below, and you can update now by hitting the Play Store widget below.
- Facebook for Android 1.9.7 requires Android 2.2 and up
- A front-facing camera makes it easier to take photos
- New messaging features let you switch between conversations, include friends of friends, share bigger photos, and see who’s available
- Various bug fixes
- Made a security improvement
- Faster app login and navigation