- Featured App
- Rogue AI
- For Tablets
- TiVo for Tablets
- SocialFrame Free HD
- SpaceChem Mobile
- Heroes Call THD
- TBS for Tablets
- XFINITY TV Player
- Game Informer
- Discoid FT (For Tablets)
- CamCard HD Free-BizCard Reader
- Win8 Metro Testbed
- HBO GO
- Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
- Comments (37)
This edition focuses only on new tablet apps or ones that added tablet support. Regular apps and games are coming soon.
Today's tablet roundup is sponsored by a pretty awesome game called Rogue AI. Rogue AI is a defensive strategy with a tower defense feel, built exclusively for tablets. Launched into space, you are a machine with a single objective. Return to Earth and annihilate the entire human race.
The game was recently updated with a new campaign consisting of 8 new levels, doubled the number of enemy types and buildings, and added new backgrounds, music, and sound effects. That's a pretty nice update if you ask me.
However, my favorite part about the description is this:
Also, zero permissions! I'm sorry, but I do not need to collect your text messages and browser favorites and sell them to advertisers. I'm here to make games, period. All game, no fluff.
This is the kind of game I can get behind. And you should too.
TiVo for Tablets
Android Police coverage: Tivo For Android Tablets Officially Available In The Play Store
TiVo DVR and non-TiVo DVR customers can get the TiVo experience in the palm of their hands with the FREE TiVo app. Turn your Android tablet into command central for your TiVo DVR. Now you can search, browse, discover and share without ever interrupting the show you’re watching. Quickly surface new content, view guides, schedule and manage recordings, get recommendations, or dig deeper into a particular actor’s entire resume—all using intuitive, gesture-based interaction.
SocialFrame Free HD
SocialFrame sucks in your local, Facebook, and Twitter photos and then turns your tablet into a digital photo frame. It has a little widget for time and weather too and is overall quite well made. If you have an old tablet laying around, you may just want to turn it into a full-time photo frame.
Maximize your tablet usage. You can now use your tablet when you are not using your tablet. Do you own a digital photo frame at home? You then understand how troublesome it is to sync your updated photos and wondered only if you could sync Facebook/Twitter photos more easily.
Now you can do so with SocialFrame! It automatically syncs all your tagged photos. This is a great gift for your parents. From Facebook, simply tag parents' names in photos, and voila! you can now share photos of your lovely baby, surprise birthday events, romantic trip to Hawaii, etc. You can do the same by sending photos to their Twitter. You wake up in the morning, SocialFrame tells you the time, weather, and RSS feeds to get you updated with the happenings around the world.
SpaceChem is an obscenely addictive design-based puzzle game about fake science. IMPORTANT: This game is designed for tablets with a resolution of 1280x800 or greater. Take on the role of a Reactor Engineer working for SpaceChem, the leading chemical synthesizer for frontier colonies. Construct elaborate factories to transform raw materials into valuable chemical products! Streamline your designs to meet production quotas and outperform other engineers. SpaceChem Mobile is a faithful adaptation of the award winning PC game SpaceChem, and includes the full selection of player-created “ResearchNet” puzzles and a modified campaign tailored for the iPad.
The official Instagram app supports tablets, but the UI is not optimized for them very well. If you are looking to browse Instagram photos on your tablet, Tabstagram seems like a good way to go.
Tabstagram brings you the Instagram experience with an interface specifically tailored to utilize the screen estate on your tablet. Browse through the latest images in your feed, or check out the most popular images currently on Instagram. Tabstagram fully supports commenting and liking images, all with a sleek, good looking Ice Cream Sandwich inspired interface.
Heroes Call THD
Android Police coverage: Heroes Call THD Lands In Play Store, Lets You Loot Dungeons And Fight Monsters For Free
Technically this will work on Tegra phones too, but there are many more Tegra tablets out there and the game plays so much better on a tablet that I decided to include it here. This time Tegra 2 can join the party too - this is not a Tegra 3 exclusive.
Fight your way through more than 30 lush dungeons, collect gear, learn new skills and uncover the secrets of Brineside. Featuring incredible graphics and deep RPG levelling and gear, Heroes Call brings dungeon crawling action and adventure to the mobile and tablet as it's never been seen before. Brineside is a city under siege, beset with dangers from outside, within and below. The Adventurers Guild is in dire need of new Heroes. Are you ready to answer the call?
OPTIMISED FOR TEGRA
•Dynamic player lighting
•Enemy rag doll : Knock your opponents down stairs and off ledges!
•Enhanced particle effects
•Variable camera distance
DUNGEON CRAWLING AT ITS BEST AND FOR FREE
•Visceral combat with a range of weapons.
•Built from the ground up for touch.
•Incredible 3D graphics that showcase the power of Tegra.
•Intuitive controls, designed specifically for touchscreen devices, easy to pick-up and offering depth to master.
•Each hero has a wide range of powers and abilities, level your hero to match your play style.
RICH UNIQUE CONTENT
•Over 40 quests split into different adventures that take you all around Brineside.
•Quests play out in unique order, so every Hero has a different journey.
•Over 100 different enemies including Orcs, Zombies, Skeletons and Ogres.
Intelligent Notetaking. BeNote is a carefully crafted notetaking tool that helps you to efficiently capture and recall important information. Great for home projects, meetings, brainstorming, workshops, lectures or just to capture a passing thought, BeNote helps to keep your notes organized and easily accessible.
- Notetaking Evolved
The purpose of notetaking is to capture information. BeNote is designed from the ground up to help you do that efficiently. Don't be forced to choose between a to-do list or text (or a picture), or to sign up for yet another service before actually taking notes. With BeNote, you can start taking notes immediately. Using a structured approach to notetaking, BeNote exposes useful functions and capabilities exactly when you need them. Helpful note entry tools are always available to quickly enter dates, times, key points, questions, action items(todos), decisions, images, snapshots, sketches, participants and more.
- Improve Recall
Notetaking studies consistently support reviewing your notes to enhance recall. BeNote's Review Mode allows you to filter your note entries by type, or by specified keywords. Add a summary to your notes when your review session is complete. BeNote shows all action items, questions and decisions across all notes in the topic overview.
- Flexible, Powerful Organization
Assign multiple topics to a note. Group topics so you can focus on only the topics that matter. Use powerful built-in search to quickly locate any note instantly.
- Designed for Android
BeNote has been carefully designed to look and function well on the Android platform. Share your notes via any installed application. Add and retrieve participants' info from your contact list. Create backups and send or restore backups from your favorite installed cloud storage service like Google Drive, DropBox, etc.
TBS for Tablets
If laughter is the best medicine, we've got your comedy cure. And the best part? This prescription is free. With the TBS very funny Android Tablet app, you can have access to your favorite comedies wherever and whenever you want. Watch full episodes of Conan, Tyler Perry's House of Payne, The Office and more after authenticating through your cable or satellite provider. You can also check out episode guides, watch clips and behind-the-scenes videos, set schedule reminders and more.
- Full Episodes of TBS Series (after authenticating)
- Series Episode Guides
- Clips and Behind-the-Scenes Video
- Show Schedules with Reminders
- GetGlue, Facebook and Twitter Integration
XFINITY TV Player
If you have Xfinity/Comcast and an Android tablet, this app is a must. It has a tablet UI, streams full TV shows and movies, and even does your laundry. Streampix is supported too if you have it.
Watch thousands of XFINITY ON Demand TV Shows & Movies anytime, anywhere. Download the XFINITY TV Player and put a world of entertainment in the palm of your hand. With the XFINITY TV Player App, you can watch thousands of hours of TV shows and movies.
- Play content anytime, anywhere on your Android Phone or Tablet
- Enjoy TV Shows and movies from your favorite networks, including premium channels like HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax and cable channels like TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network and BBC America.
- Set parental controls, so you can enjoy your content with privacy and peace of mind.
Sure, there's a Game Informer edition on the new Google Play Magazines, but the tablet app has the benefit of interactive digital content. If you're a fan of Game Informer, you should definitely check it out.
Welcome to Game Informer, the world’s largest computer and video game magazine. A 20-year veteran to publishing, Game Informer Magazine continues to shape the video game industry by expanding perspectives and providing in-depth knowledge and insight into the games market. We deliver news, previews, reviews, and features on computer, mobile, social, and console video games including Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Wii, 3DS, DS, PC, Vita, iOS, Android, and PSP. Now available on your 10" Android tablet, Game Informer Magazine is the industry's leading magazine and is the 4th largest overall consumer magazine in the United States (December 2011, Audit Bureau of Circulations). You can buy individual issues or subscribe, all right within the app.
Discoid FT (For Tablets)
If you love graphs and keeping track of media, this app is for you. It makes graphs. LOTS OF GRAPHS.
Music Collector's reference for LPs, Cds and Cassettes releases (uses Discogs). Discoid FT is a redesigned version of Discoid especially for Tablets, information is now more easily accessible without having to switch between tabbed screens. Discoid FT uses Discogs and Last FM's huge collection of online data to supply artwork, track listings and background information to fully document your collection, what's more you can search on everything from musicians to track titles - you will be amazed where this can lead you.
Have you ever wished to carry a list of your CD or Record Collection around with you but never got around to it? Well Discoid makes the task of cataloguing your collection a doddle, just simply scan in the barcode and you are away! If your item lacks a barcode you can match on the Catalog Number, Title, Artist or whatever. What Else Can You Do With Discoid?
- Create a Wanted List and update it as you browse.
- View Statistics on your Music Collection, number of artists, titles, genre, style.
- Display any Group, Album Cover, Label or Format Image full screen on your mobile and use Pinch and Zoom functionality to get up close and personal with your favourite artist or label - and you can save the image to your sd card if you wish.
- View further info and video via links to wiki and youtube sites for each artist.
- Search Discogs database for any Artist, Title, Label, Catalogue Id or Discogs Id you desire.
- Visit your Discogs user account and view, diff and merge your collection directly with Discoid's.
- Use Discoid's extensive filtering to hunt down virtually any type of music media (from Cassettes to DVDs).
- Export your data in xml, html or database form so you can exchange with other Discoid users, you can even have a desktop html copy.
- Choose one of 7 colour themes.
- Choose one of 50 record labels as your wait cursor.
- Launch Spotify or Last FM to play music.
Android Police coverage: Hovernote Is A Floating Notepad To Add To Your Floating App Arsenal
Hovernote is compatible with phones as well, but for obvious reasons, it's far better suited for tablets.
hovernote is a floating notepad app for your phone or tablet. With hovernote, you can write notes while using any other app on your device.
hovernote allows you to open any number of note windows, for unrestricted productivity. hovernote's configurable, minimalist interface keeps out of your way.
• Floats over other apps, allowing true multitasking
• Share notes with other applications, such as Dropbox, Evernote, or whatever else you use. hovernote works with the apps you already have.
• .txt file input and output, with browser
• Can have several notes open simultaneously
‣ Whether to keep a notification after closing all of the notes, to quickly open a new note
‣ Whether to autosave a .txt file note
‣ Whether to hide the window controls when switching away from a note, to save screen space
‣ Window Transparency
‣ Font style and size
CamCard HD Free-BizCard Reader
CamCard is a fantastic business card reader with high recognition accuracy and many handy features. Simply take a picture of a business card, CamCard recognizes the contact information and saves in Card Holder or Address Book. Then feel at ease to manage piles of business cards on the go across smartphones, tablets, Mac/PC and etc.
Key features in CamCard HD:
1. Superior accurate recognition: simply take a picture of a business card, the contact information is accurately recognized and saved into address book, Gmail, Outlook or other Exchange account.
2. Real card flipping feel and premium visual effects: multiple browsing modes to sort out business cards easily on the go.
3. Unique smart features:
• Auto-detect text orientation
• Auto-detect card language
• Auto-detect card image rotation
• Auto-crop card image
• Auto-enhance business card image
4. Fast access card information: send emails, browse web sites and locate address on maps by directly clicking on card image
5. Seamless synchronization across multiple devices: manage card information with smartphones, tablets and Mac/PC.
6. Auto backup: sign up with CamCard and auto backup in the cloud.
7. Multiple languages supported: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Norwegian and Hungarian.
More handy features:
• Batch Scanning
• QR Code creation and recognition
• Email Recognition
• Share contacts via Email and QR Code
• Export to vCard or Excel files
• Introduce friends to each other and let them save each other’s cards right away
• Search, sort, and group manage contacts
• Double side business card image
• Make notes to cards
• Create your own business card and share with others instantly
Win8 Metro Testbed
Android Police coverage: Splashtop Thinks You're Going To Spend $25 (Or More!) To Pretend Your Android Tablet Runs Windows 8
If you really have to play around with Win8's tablet UI, I suppose you can shell out $25 and hook up your Android tablet to a PC running Windows 8. And that's the price on a 50% off sale. These people are nuts - but hey, maybe some of you woke up today thinking "I wish I could load up Metro UI on my beautiful Android tablet encrusted with diamonds today." Well, then. Go on. Jerks.
Enjoy Win8 on your Android tablet. No need to spend over $1,000 to buy a Win 7 tablet in order to try out the Win 8 Metro touch experience, Splashtop is the ONLY app that allows you to experience the TRUE Windows 8 Metro UI on your Android tablet and iPad.
#. A PC installed with Windows 8 Release Preview is required.
#. Please download the latest Streamer from Splashtop website for your Win8
Now with Splashtop, you can enjoy native Win 8 Metro touch gestures:
- Swipe from the right for the Charms menu
- Swipe from the left to switch apps
- Pull down from the top to close the app
- Swipe slowly from the left to run two apps side-by-side
- Pinch to do Semantic Zoom
- And many more gestures for you to explore
Android Police coverage: Google I/O Day One Roundup – Jelly Bean, Google Glass, Two New Nexus Devices, And So Much More
Yes! The Google+ app now has a tablet UI, and it's glorious. Absolutely glorious.
Android Police coverage: HBO GO Update Brings Support For Android Tablets Up To 4.0.4
The previous HBO GO update brought support for ICS phones but the most recent one finally rolled out a tablet UI, up to 4.0.4. Sorry, Nexus 7, you're not supported just yet.
Watch over 1,400 of your favorite HBO shows, including HBO original programming, hit movies, sports, comedy and much more—now available on Android smartphones and tablets. It’s HBO. Anywhere.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: [email protected].
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.