It's been a long time coming, particularly for the pioneer Android tablet, but the Ice Cream Sandwich update for Verizon's 4G Xoom is rolling out today as expected. The update brings the Xoom to the very latest version of Android available - 4.0.4.
An over-the-air rollout has started today, but if you are too impatient to wait for that, you have the option of installing the update manually (this method requires the use of a USB host cable):
- Download the update here.
- Place the file on a USB stick.
- Turn off the device.
- Enter Recovery by pressing Volume Down at the "M" logo, then pressing Volume Up.
- At the Android logo, press Power and Volume Up simultaneously.
- Plug the USB stick in the USB host cable, and then into your device.
- Select "apply update from USB drive" using the Power button.
- Select the the file (IMM76L-from-HLK75H.2a903016.zip) with the Power button.
- Wait for the device to reboot.