After HTC basically pointed the finger at AT&T for the bootloader situation on the American version of the One X (which is technically the One XL), many an enthusiast voiced their disapproval. Now, a very clever XDA member (grankin01) has discovered how to unlock the bootloader of the beast using a simple but ingenious method - trick it into thinking it's from Canada. The Rogers One XL has an unlockable bootloader, and is the same piece of hardware as the AT&T One X.
Much like slapping a Canadian flag on your backpack while going abroad, it looks like the simple hex value switchup involved here will trick HTC's bootloader unlock system into believing you're from the land of maple leaves, hockey, and good manners.
The process is a little detailed, but overall, there's nothing fancy going on here aside from a little hex editing (you'll need a hex editor utility like HxD). Just boot up ADB, copy and paste the appropriate commands, and follow the instructions to the letter. You'll also need to be rooted (which means you can't do this if you're on the new OTA leak yet - sorry) for this to work.
Alright, once again, you do this at your own risk!
You need ADB and an understanding of how to use it and have a rooted device (although I didn't test this). You will also need a hex editor like HxD.
BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE DOING THIS!!!! WHEN HTCDEV UNLOCKS YOUR DEVICE YOU MUST START FROM SCRATCH!!!
1. Fire up your command prompt and go to the directory that you have ADB installed to. Type "adb shell" and hit enter.
2. Type "su" and hit enter. You now have root privileges.
3. Next type "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4" and hit enter. This will dump the partition to your sdcard.
4. Next type "exit", hit enter, type "exit", and hit enter again. This should take you back to a command prompt for your computer.
5. type "adb pull /sdcard/mmcblk0p4" and hit enter.
6. Open the file (mmcblk0p4) with your hex editor.
7. Look for offset 00000210 and you should see CWS_001 with your IMEI number attached to it.
8. Change CWS_001 to ROGER001 and save the file as mmcblk0p4MOD.
9. Now go back to your command prompt and type "adb push mmcblk0p4MOD /sdcard/mmcblk0p4MOD" and hit enter.
10. Type "adb shell" and hit enter then type "su" and hit enter again. This will put you back into the android shell and give you root privileges.
11. Type "dd if=/sdcard/mmcblk0p4MOD of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4" and hit enter. To test if it worked restart the phone into fastboot (type "adb reboot bootloader" and hit enter) and once the bootloader screen comes up type "fastboot oem readcid" and hit enter. It should read "ROGER001".
12. Next type "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" and hit enter. Leave that up on your screen and go to HTCdev.com. Follow the instructions from there.