Total Commander, which only graduated to the "final" status yesterday, made it all the way to the Play Store today, along with all three of its plugins: FTP, LAN, and WebDAV. This event concluded the saga that started back in July of last year when the very first preview release was unveiled by Christian Ghisler, the author of the wildly popular application for Windows.
The fate of Total Commander's Play Store listing has been up in the air until only recently, when Christian confirmed he indeed/ decided to go through with it and deal with potential support issues. At the time of the original release, available only via sideloading, Christian stated to us that TC was unlikely to ever show up in the Market. Why? Because of the added burden of having to provide support (read: deal with on average 10% legitimate and 90% idiotic comments) for a product that will always be offered free of charge. I'm not sure what exactly changed his mind - perhaps it's now stable enough to warrant mostly positive ratings - but I'm sure glad we no longer need to hunt down Release Candidates and deal with expirations.
Here is the official Play Store description:
Android version of the desktop file manager Total Commander.
- Copy, Move whole subdirs
- Inplace rename, create directories
- Delete (no recycle bin)
- Zip and unzip, unrar
- Properties dialog, change permissions
- Built-in text editor
- Search function (also for text)
- Select/unselect groups of files
- Select by tapping on file icons
- List of installed Apps (built-in plugin)
- FTP client (plugin)
- WebDAV (Web folders) (plugin)
- LAN access (plugin)
- Root support for the main functions
- Send files via Bluetooth (OBEX)
- Thumbnails for pictures
- Two panels side by side, or virtual two panel mode
- Directory history
- Configurable button bar for changing directories, internal commands, launching apps, and sending shell commands
- Simple help function in English, German, Russian, Ukrainian and Czech
- Supported languages of the main program: English, German, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese and Ukrainian
Total Commander's plugins: FTP, LAN, WebDAV
Total Commander and all of its plugins are linked below.