- Featured App
- Calculations Pro
- Solid Explorer Beta
- Apex Launcher Pro
- Floating Widget
- SoundWire (free version)
- WiFi Tether for Root Users
- Folder Downloader for Dropbox
- SMS Flash
- Alarm Clock Ultra Free
- Super Android Battery
- Schedule Planner
- Official UEFA EURO 2012 app:
- Scalado Album
- Zillow Rentals - Houses & Apts
- Cloudfogger Cloud-Encryption
- BugMe! Stickies Pro
- Live Wallpapers
- Digital Embers
- Robot Squad Free Wallpaper
- Gate of Time Live Wallpaper
- The Avengers Live Wallpaper
- WTF App(s) Of The Week
- Ugly Meter™
- Nose Candy
- SMS Toast
- Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
This is the app roundup. The game roundup from this week can be found here.
If you enjoy this roundup, feel free to upvote it on Reddit.
Today's roundup is sponsored by Calculations, a 5-in-1 tool with a clean UI inspired by the ICS guidelines. Here's what it has:
- calculator (with advanced functions for Pro users)
- currency converter with real-time conversion of up to 10 currencies
- measurement converter with real-time conversion of length, area, temperature, volume, weight, and time
- mortgage calculator (with advanced options for Pro users)
- tipping calculator
Grab the free version or upgrade to the 99c Pro version to unlock the Pro features that I mentioned above.
Solid Explorer Beta
Android Police coverage: [New App] Solid Explorer Beta Is One Of The Most Solid Beta Explorers That We've Ever Explored
Not many apps have the potential of dethroning Total Commander on my devices, but this one comes close. Closer than any other app ever has since TC was released.
Solid Explorer brings to you a new file browsing experience. This is the most attractive, eye catching and intuitive file manager for the Android.
1. Two independent panels for browsing
2. Drag and Drop inside and between panels
3. FTP, SFTP and SMB/CIFS clients
4. File sharing via FTP
5. Support for ZIP, TAR.GZ, TAR.BZ2 and RAR archives
6. Creating ZIP and TAR archives
7. Dropbox and Box support
9. Root access
10. Indexed search, also available from the system (that means that you can search for files from the Google Search widget/app)
11. Detailed file and directory information
Apex Launcher Pro
Android Police coverage: [New App] Apex Launcher Pro Brings New Features To An Already Great Home Screen Replacement
Powerful, fast, and highly customizable home replacement for Android 4.0+. Apex Launcher helps you create a customized homescreen experience on your Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) device. This app unlocks premium features in Apex Launcher. You must have the latest version of Apex Launcher (free) installed on your device. This app just acts as a license key to unlock the pro features. Apex Launcher Pro unlocks the following features:
- Multiple configurable drawer tabs
- Unread count notifications
- Dock swipe gestures
- Two finger gestures
- More transition effects
- Batch add option for folders
- Option to merge folder contents
- Widgets in dock (1x1 only)
- Overlapping widgets
Android Police review: [Review] Floating Widget Brings Widgets To The Foreground, But Comes With Trade-offs
This lets you interact with any homescreen widget while using any other app. Widgets are no longer only for your homescreen.
Ever wish you could:
- Control your local or streaming music without leaving your current app?
- Have a sports scoreboard up while using your e-book reader?
- View a data usage widget in real time while using the app you’re testing?
- Have a clock on the screen while playing a full screen game?
- View CPU usage while you’re interacting with an app?
- Have the a traffic indicator widget always up while commuting?
With Floating Widget, you can do all of these and more! Check the screenshots and embedded video for setup and examples.
SoundWire (free version)
Tipped via Reddit this week.
SoundWire lets you send any music ("what you hear now") from your PC to your Android mobile devices or other PCs. Use it as:
- A wireless extension of your PC-based music system for parties
- A remote headphone amp
- A way to listen to music and movies from your computer anywhere in your house or out on your deck.
This is not just another file streaming app... you can use any music player on your PC or laptop like Grooveshark, Spotify, YouTube, or iTunes and feed the sound directly to your Android device. SoundWire lets you listen to the free versions of Grooveshark and Spotify on your phone. SoundWire has low latency (audio delay), which means it can even be used to listen to the soundtrack of a movie or YouTube video while you watch (**Note you must adjust the buffer size in app settings for low latency). There are other uses too... SoundWire can work as a baby monitor or listening device with any Windows computer such as a netbook that has a built-in microphone. Or hook up turntables to your computer's line input and stream a live DJ set to another part of the house. SoundWire can also be used over 3G/4G networks, depending on your download speed. Before using SoundWire on your Android device you must install and run the SoundWire Server application on the Windows PC or laptop which is your source of music, web audio streaming, or other sounds. Download the server here. For more information see the getting started guide.
- Live audio capture and streaming
- Not locked to one music player
- Excellent sound quality (44.1 kHz or 48 kHz stereo 16-bit PCM)
- Low latency
- Easy to use
- x86 and MIPS support, send music from PC to PC running virtualized app (Linux/Windows)
- Record SoundWire audio to a file (MP3 or WAV)
WiFi Tether for Root Users
Android Police coverage: Wi-Fi Tether For Root Users V3 Lands In The Play Store, Grab It While You Still Can
This is version 3 of the excellent Wi-Fi Tether for Root users that I've been using to tether ever since the Hero days. v3 has been in development (only available for download from their site) for a very long time, but now entered the Play Store for more convenient update notifications.
This program enables wifi-tethering for "rooted" handsets. Clients (your laptop for example) can connect via wifi and get access to the internet using the mobile connection (4G, 3G, 2G) of your phone. Wifi-tethering creates a so called adhoc (peer-to-peer) network on most devices. Infrastructure-mode is suppported for a large set of devices.
- Widget-support. One-click enabling/disabling from your home-screen.
- Disable tethering after a configurable idle-time.
- Access-control feature. Allow/deny clients to use your mobile-data connection.
- Wifi-Encrytion. 128-bit WEP in general (adhoc). WPA/WPA2 on supported devices (infrastructure-mode).
- Settings for wifi-ssid, wifi-channel, „lan“-network and more.
Folder Downloader for Dropbox
Can't believe Dropbox doesn't support this yet in the Android app.
Folder Downloader for Dropbox lets you download entire folders from your Dropbox account to your Android device.
• Support for Android 2.1 or greater
• Ability to create new folders on the local storage on the fly, so you don't need to use a separate file manager
• Downloads performed in background via an Android Service, so you don't have to keep the app running
• Authentication performed via OAuth and Dropbox's official API, so the app CANNOT read your Dropbox password.
Android Police coverage: NotifierPro And SMS Flash Are Two Apps That Will Help You Text Without Interrupting Your Game
SMS Flash is a simple application that displays incoming SMS as soon as they are received, in a non interactive way. Unlike SMS popup, you can touch through the displayed SMS and continue interaction with the screen. So you do not need to stop what you were doing to read the SMS.Its very handy when you are playing Games, watching movie, recording video, taking pictures, browsing etc.
PicFrame helps you combine multiple photos into amazing looking frames and share them with your friends and family. With 36 frames, rounded corners, adjustable photo effects, adjustable border width and an easy border color picker you will always have a unique look.
- 36 frames with up to 5 photos
- Rounded corners
- Adjustable border width
- Change the color of the border with an easy to use color picker
- Adjust the brightness, contrast and saturation of each photo
- Rotate photos
- Pinch or double tap to zoom and drag to move the photos
- Save to your gallery
- Share to other applications (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Email)
- Multiple output resolutions
Alarm Clock Ultra Free
It's pretty, there's no doubt about that.
Never worry about waking up on time again with the incredibly reliable, feature rich Alarm Clock Ultra. Alarm Clock Ultra is THE best looking alarm clock app available, an absolute feast for the eyes... but don't be fooled by the candy coated exterior, this app has serious functionality under the hood.Wake up the way you want to with Alarm Clock Ultra's extensive customization. Accidentally disabling your alarm is a thing of the past thanks to Alarm Clock Ultra, with our unique 'Puzzle To Snooze/Dismiss' functionality, you'll be wide awake and raring to go every time you wake up. Want to work out and wake up the brain even more? Try our Math problems to Snooze/Dismiss feature, with 3 levels of difficulty this is a sure fire way to get you up and running on a sleepy morning.
Super Android Battery
A battery widget for Android, in the style of the classic 90s games! This is just the first of several widgets to come.
Schedule Planner gives you the power to organize your life one day at a time, giving you everything you need to plan out tasks and stay productive.
● Utilize well-rounded & multi-faceted Task Selection & Creation editor.
● Color code tasks by category.
● Color coded diagram with breakdown of how you spend your time.
● Included pre-set task categories by focus; Work, Meals, Health, etc.
● Arrange your own options for lists.
● Switch between days with a simple swipe.
You're together with friends, and it's a day to remember. Capture the memories in a shared photo album. Simply put your phones together to create a PhotoCircle, and then start taking pictures. It's fast, private, and simple. One photo album for you, your friends, and a beautiful day.
- Adding one or more friends to a PhotoCircle is easy. Put your phones together, and they are automatically added.
- You can have as many Circles as you want, and there's no limit to the number of photos you can take.
- No need to refresh. Circle updates instantly. It's fast.
- Great for birthdays, weddings, and afternoons with friends
- What happens in the Circle stays in the Circle. Photos added to the Circle are private by default.
- A friend couldn't make it? Add her via SMS or email. Photos are still shared, even when you're apart.
- Available on Android and iOS
Android Police coverage: NotifierPro And SMS Flash Are Two Apps That Will Help You Text Without Interrupting Your Game
NotifierPro is a little older, but somehow evaded us until now. I ran into it while looking at SMS Flash's (mentioned earlier in this post) competitors, and we ended up including both in the rundown above. It's powerful and elegant, though personally I quickly got annoyed with its more invasive notifications.
With NotifierPro you can greatly improve the way your device displays notifications.
How to use it :
* Click the notification to launch it
* Swipe to the right to dismiss it
* Swipe to the left to dismiss notifications coming from the same app/contact
Plus version :
* You can set individual settings for each app
* You have access to 5 exclusives themes
* You can choose the text position
* You can hide the icon
* You can choose the size for the banner
* You can set custom vibration patterns
* You can choose the action when you do a left or right swipe on the banner
* You can disable clicks
* You can set quiet hours
* You can use reminders
* You can use privacy options
* You can display the contact picture for any app (experimental)
Android Police coverage: [New App] HP Releases Snapfish For Android, Lets You Access And Share Your Photos On The Go
The all new Android app from Snapfish by HP allows you to access all your favorite photos while you’re on the go. With a free Snapfish account, you can:
- Store unlimited photos at Snapfish.
- View all your photos from your phone or computer, wherever you are.
- Share your favorite photos via email, Facebook, or Twitter.
- Create personalized photo books, greeting cards, and more from your desktop.
Official UEFA EURO 2012 app:
Warning: Watch out for the battery drain with this app - lots of people are complaining about that.
The official UEFA EURO 2012 app gives you access to the final tournament of the 14th UEFA European Football Championship. It will be held in Poland and Ukraine from 8 June to 1 July 2012. Get the best:
• live results
• free customised alerts
• video highlights from midnight after the end of the match (against payment)
Now all your favourite quotation databases are collected together. Smiler is a simple app for the comfortable viewing of internet quote databases. Russian, English, French, Spanish, German and other languages are supported. Smiler is designed to while away the time in a queue, when travelling by transport, sitting in a boring lecture or on a trip. Smiler remembers the last visited page in order to quickly access it and continue your reading. At the moment Smiler can get quotes of such resources as bash.org , qdb.us, fmylife.com,learnfrommyfail.failblog.org, danstonchat.com, ibash.de, german-bash.org,smsvongesternnacht.de, bash.org.ru, ibash.org.ru, ithappens.ru, zadolba.li, ukrbash.org,bash.org.by, killmepls.ru (QDB, LMF, FML, AMK, XKCDB, FMS, Hatepost, IMMD, MMT, TFLN, VDM, DTC, PEBKAC, VMV , KMP, MLA, TFM, TSM, MLIN) and more (check the full list of resources).
Should memes die? Maybe, but I still enjoy them once in a while. With this app, I can snap a pic (or use an existing one), create one on the fly, then save it as a picture. Works as expected, though the UI is a bit (a lot) ugly.
This is a small app used to add memes to photos on Android based devices. You can either shoot take a photo or open one, then play around withit, adding diferent memes, changing their size, rotating them, etc. Currently the app only enables saving the images to the sd card, an ability to upload directly to Facebook will come in later versions
I'm not sure if Scalado Album (made by the company that made this wonder: Remove) is necessarily better than other gallery apps (I still prefer QuickPic myself), but I've never seen an app that lets you dice and browse your photos in so many ways - by places, months, nearby, and more. For that alone, Scalado is definitely a win.
The Scalado Album is designed for making your everyday photo experience great. We want to bring you the best user experience possible but still keep the design simplistic and responsive. It is built from ground up using the Scalado Imaging Platform to enable maximum performance on Android. The album allows you to quickly find the photos you are looking for and you can smoothly zoom into every single detail in full resolution. Experience your photo memories and enjoy.
All - Shows all photos on the device
Places - Groups images into named geographical locations
Nearby - Shows all photos taken nearby the current GPS location
Map View - Mapping of photos accessible from all grid views
Months - Groups images after calendar month captured
Folders – Shows images grouped after existing folders
Camera Roll - Shows all photos taken with the device camera
Zillow Rentals - Houses & Apts
My favorite feature about this app is definitely the ability to draw the area where you want to live with your finger and limit the search to that.
Zillow Rentals is the easiest way to find your next apartment or rental home. Filter for rental homes in seconds based on location (you can even draw your own search neighborhoods on the map) and home type. Get automatic notifications when new homes for rent hit the market. Rent Zestimates help you decide how much the rental home is worth. Save and share your favorite rentals, automatically track who you’ve contacted, and view a side-by-side comparison of all your favorites.
This is the official Android client for Cloudfogger, a program for securely encrypting files in the cloud.
Cloudfogger is a free file encryption solution for all files on your computer, mobile devices and in the cloud. Cloudfogger encrypts all files before they are uploaded to the cloud. As en- and decryption is always handled on the client devices, using secure AES technology, you can be sure that nobody is able to access your data in the cloud, no matter which provider or servers you use to store your valuable information. Cloudfogger is optimized for cloud storage and integrates seamlessly into your workflow on Dropbox, SkyDrive and many other storage providers. NOTE: This app can currently only be used to decrypt files, e.g. in order to view file contents while you are on the road. For encryption you will need the desktop edition that is available free of charge on our web site. You will also need the desktop edition to create your user account.
BugMe! Stickies Pro
Replace those fading yellow sticky notes with BugMe! - with ink notes and alarms. Its time to bring your yellow sticky postit notes up to date - BugMe! brings all the fun and flexibility of the handy little notes right to your smartphone or tablet. Pin them to a virtual cork board within the app and set alarms and alerts, or use the BugMe! Widget to “Stick” your note on your launcher screen for that extra visual reminder.
- MAKE QUICK NOTES - write in digital ink with your finger, or type with the inbuilt keyboard
- ALARMS & REMINDERS - set alarms and due times on your notes
- SAVE NOTES TO LAUNCHER - widget for handy sticky notes on your app launcher!
- SEND YOUR NOTES TO FRIENDS - send notes to friends via Facebook, Twitter or email
- CUSTOMIZE THE LOOK - choice of note colors and ink styles to help you get organized
- USE YOUR PHOTOS - use your photos as note backgrounds or make notes and marks on your photos
- MAKE LISTS - use your notes as lists
- ORGANIZE - drag and drop your notes to rearrange them on the virtual cork board.
Android Police coverage: TGI Friday's Releases Android App, Lets Customers Pay Tabs From Their Phones
This app would have really been nothing special had it not included an ability to pay your tab right from your phone (powered by TabbedOut). I wish more food chains supported this or similar methods of payment.
With our new mobile app, you can find a Friday’s, check out our killer drink and food menu, get special offers and find out what’s going on any night of the week. And with our My Friday’s Tab powered by Tabbedout, you can start a tab, keep tabs on it and even pay directly from your phone when you’re ready to call it a night. You’ll even find some of our bartenders’ best tips on life and living it up. My Friday’s Tab is programmed to suggest a tip of 18%. You can increase or decrease this tip at your discretion when you close your tab. However, if you leave the Friday’s location without closing your tab on your mobile device, a gratuity of 18% will be added.
•Pay your bill from your phone with My Friday’s Tab
•Find a Friday’s using your current location by ZIP code, or city and state
•Get maps and driving directions to the nearest Friday’s
•Check out our drink specials and promotions
•Browse through our full drink and food menus
Get the latest travel and lifestyle news and views from across Asia and the world. Discover more about your region with the best in local coverage and perspectives.
- Stunning photo galleries
- Share CNNGo content by email, Facebook and Twitter
- Submit your own stories with CNN iReport
Digital Embers is the only LWP that survived more than a week on my phone... ever, and that's saying a lot. With a few tweaks to make it less aggressive, I've been really enjoying its presence. Oh yeah, and it's touch-sensitive, that's kind of the best part.
Watch pixel embers glow to life as you touch the screen. Your homescreen will burst to life with a grid that lights up in an electric pattern as you touch it! The multitude of shooting sparks is hypnotic. When you aren't touching the screen, the digital embers burn with subdued colors.
This free version of the live wallpaper is fully functional, but you can upgrade to the full version to unlock many options for you to play with:
• Choose any colors you like
• Cycle through up to four different colors with each touch of the screen
• Choose for the colors to adapt to your battery level in real-time
• Select from several different tile shapes
• Customize how the background embers appear (color desaturation, darkening, and blurring)
Robot Squad Free Wallpaper
Observe a robot on patrol in this interactive Live Wallpaper. Follow the combat specialist (1 out of the 4 squad members) as he makes his rounds through a layered alien background. The robot responds and tracks your touch. Occasionally watch the transmission glitch! Contains a CPU/Battery saving setting.
This free wallpaper is fully functional. If you like it, consider the full version, which features:
- 4 Robots and scenes: combat specialist, science officer, supply chief, and medical officer
- Customize the speed and direction of the scene
- Control the quality of the transmission, glitches
- Double-tap to cycle themes
Gate of Time Live Wallpaper
Zelda + time spiral = pure awesomeness. Watch the video, the screenshots don't pain the full picture. Plus, it has a secret feature that you'll have to find on your own.
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's Gate of Time as your live wallpaper. The Gate of Time as inspired by Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Screenshots don't do it justice at all. The effect is entirely in the motion.
This wallpaper does, however have a SECRET FEATURE. No, it doesn't steal your personal data. And no, it doesn't track you using GPS. It's the kind of secret feature you *want* to have! I ask that if you find how to activate the secret, PLEASE don't post how it's done in the comments. Leave it a mystery for others to find! One TINY hint to find the secret: you *must* have sound on; it won't trigger if your phone is on vibrate or silent. Oh, and I guess I also forgot to mention: there are 2 ways to trigger the secret. The methods are *very* different. If you *think* you've found them both, you probably haven't. You'll know when you've found them both.
The Avengers Live Wallpaper
This is the official Avengers LWP, but I must warn you, it's not as great as you might imagine. Watch the video here but be warned that it may not scroll on your device (it didn't on my Epic 4G Touch, as evident in the video from the link above, but it's apparently due to some Android bugs - CellFish's fix was to make the LWP pan around even when you're not scrolling. Yuck. Probably not their fault, though other LWPs find a way around it without issues).
Assemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with the official Avengers Live Wallpaper. Download the free Avengers Live Wallpaper featuring the superhero team’s logo hovering over a destroyed New York City street. Unlock the full Avengers Assemble live wallpaper for just $0.99, including Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, and Hawkeye. The scene can be set to pan so all of your favorite heroes get their much deserved screen time. (Accessible in the Settings Menu). Don't be surprised when the glass on your screen cracks after you receive a text, email or phone call! (Can also be turned on or off in the Settings Menu).
WTF App(s) Of The Week
Ouch, this is some cold stuff.
Note: In no way am I recommending you get this app (it has terrible reviews), but I'm highlighting the WTF junk that's actually trending on the Play Store. People will buy literally anything.
Do you ever wonder if you're ugly and your friends just don't tell you? Do you have an ugly friend, and you just don't know how to tell them? The Ugly Meter takes your photo and scans the details of your face to give you a rating of 1-10 on the Ugly Scale. If you rate a 10, you probably have a face that only a mother could love. Depending on how bad your rating is, the Ugly Meter will comment on your looks.
Note: This app isn't exactly what I'd call new, but I've never seen it before, and chances are you haven't either (thanks to someone on Twitter for the tip, sorry, I forgot your name).
Now with Tiger Blood mode.
Watch the video for full effect, it's worth it.
NEW Tiger Blood mode! Show iPhone users an app they can't get. The ONLY coke app on ANY phone! BANNED from iPhone! Fun and great for parties! Show your iPhone friends an app they'll never get. NEW! Try the all-new "I'm an F-18, bro" difficulty level to get words of encouragement from the High Priest Vatican Assassin Warlock and his fire-breathing fists.
* Vial, razor, $100 bill all included
* Shake phone to splash the blow
* Phone vibrates when you're high
* Five difficulty levels
* Global leaderboard for scoring
* Free Play and Play For Score modes
* installable to SD card (Froyo and later)
Yes, an app with quite possibly the worst screenshots ever.
While you are watching a moview or playing game, if you recieved sms you should pause your program to check your sms. So If you got sms, it shows name and contents by toast(popup) shortly. It is very LIGHT program.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.