Almost one full year ago, carriers threw the gauntlet down on tethering applications in the Play Store. Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile were among the first to lay down the banhammer, with Sprint following soon after.
Here we are, a year later and guess what? Version 3 of the infamous Wi-Fi Tether for Root Users app just hit the Play Store, sans carrier restrictions. Of course, this is only because carriers haven't yet found out about the app; when they do, however, you better believe its availability will quickly be laid to rest - so you better grab before it's gone. (If it does get pulled, however, you can always grab the apk from here.)
The app offers all of the features that you've come expect from the Wi-Fi tether family, including:
- Widget-support. One-click enabling/disabling from your home-screen.
- Disable tethering after a configurable idle-time.
- Access-control feature. Allow/deny clients to use your mobile-data connection.
- Wifi-Encrytion. 128-bit WEP in general (adhoc). WPA/WPA2 on supported devices (infrastructure-mode).
- Settings for wifi-ssid, wifi-channel, lan-network and more.
- And more ...
The app is free in the Store, so grab it before it's too late.