Back in late March, Sony announced that it would indeed be bringing Ice Cream Sandwich to the Tablet S and the funky little Tablet P. True to its word, the rollout has already begun for the former.
The update brings several new features to the 9.4-inch slate:
- Enhanced lock screen
- Direct access to Notifications
- Unlock direct to camera
- New panoramic camera mode
- Enhanced Gallery media viewer
- Direct SD card access + photo editing tools
- Exclusive “Small Apps’ for multi-tasking
- Calculator, Browser, Remote Control
- Move to screen edge for reduced clutter
- New Home Screen actions
- Drag icons together to create folders
- Add names to folders
- Enhanced web browser
- Switch from mobile to desktop web sites
- Save pages for offline viewing
- Access files directly from SD card
- Native screenshot capture
- Press “power” and “Volume –“
With the release of ICS, Sony is also offering a $50 discount and a free desktop cradle to anyone who picks up a Tablet S between now and May 12. This brings the total price down to $350 for the 16GB version of the S, and $450 for the 32GB.
If you already own a Tablet S, however, you should be prompted to install the update as soon as you connect to Wi-Fi.