This edition focuses only on new tablet apps or ones that added tablet support. Regular apps and games are coming soon.
Personally, I can't even remotely justify a $10-15 monthly fee for subscribing to magazines, but maybe some of you can. I'm curious to see how many people would use this service.
Enjoy unlimited access to the world’s best magazines FREE for 30 days. Simply download the Next Issue app and log in to get started.
- The greatest magazines found anywhere - The Next Issue digital newsstand offers the most popular magazine titles in the U.S. including Better Homes and Gardens, Esquire, Elle, Fortune, Glamour, Parents, People, Real Simple, Sports Illustrated, TIME, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and many more.
- A consistent reading experience - Browse, manage and read all of your favorite magazines from one easy-to-use app.
- Enhanced digital editions, optimized for tablets - Magazines are custom-designed for the tablet experience and include enhancements such as videos, bonus photography and interactive features.
- Read as many magazines as you want with our Unlimited plans - Immerse yourself and discover the breadth of great stories, writing and photography within our catalog. All without the hassles of magazines piling up at home, lugging them on trips or recycling.
Full list of magazines: All You, Allure, Better Homes and Gardens (10” only), Car and Driver (10” only), Coastal Living, Conde Nast Traveler, Cooking Light, ELLE (10” only), Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, Essence, Fitness, Fortune, Glamour, Golf Magazine, Health, InStyle, Money, Parents, People, People en Espanol, People Style Watch, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Southern Living, Sports Illustrated, Sports Illustrated Kids, Sunset, The New Yorker (7” only), This Old House, TIME and Vanity Fair.
Hey, not a bad idea for certain situations, like classroom presentations.
Turn your Android tablet into a mobile interactive whiteboard. Splashtop Whiteboard allows teachers and students to turn their Android tablet into an interactive white board. Once connected to their computer over Wifi, they can watch Flash media with fully synchronized video and audio, control PC and Mac applications then annotate lesson content all from an Android tablet. Now interact with students at their desk or present from all four corners of the class.
Splashtop Whiteboard offers users of existing interactive white boards (IWBs) - such as Mimeo, Mobi, Promethean, Polyvision, or Smart Technologies - a way to extend their investment by accessing their tools from anywhere in the class without using wireless slates. For users who do not use an IWB, now they can build one at a fraction of the cost.
- BE IN CONTROL – Have complete control over the applications such as Keynote or Powerpoint on the classroom PC as if you were sitting right there. No need to stay at the front of the class. Slowly reveal text or images to keep your audience focused using the Screen Shade tool. Or use the Spotlight tool to keep the attention on just one part of the screen. Be free to roam around - hand the Android tablet to a student and let their imagination do the rest!
- ANNOTATE ANYTHING – Use gestures to draw, highlight, or write over any content. Take snapshots of the screen and save them to the gallery then print or email the snapshots to students, parents or colleagues. Use different colored and sized pens, stamps, highlighter, shapes, lines, and text tools over existing content or Flipchart backgrounds. Everything you do is displayed on the projector connected to your PC or Mac! Use the digital flipchart tool to create pages with different backgrounds.
- EXPERIENCE LIFELIKE PLAYBACK – All video and audio are played in high definition on your Android tablet, Play Adobe Flash content, iTunes music, DVDs, CDs, etc. as they were meant to be enjoyed.
Papyrus looks like an absolutely awesome app for tablet owners, especially those with pen support. Check out the video to see its full power.
Papyrus is a natural handwriting note-taking app for Android that you use just like paper, but with the flexibility and advantages of modern technology. With Papyrus, you can go beyond paper. Now with support for the Samsung Galaxy Note.
- Take notes naturally with a pen on active-pen enabled devices
- Take notes with your finger or passive stylus (if you don’t have an active pen)
- Pen strokes are vector graphics
- Undo/redo strokes
- Select and move strokes
- Cut, copy, and paste strokes between notes
- Two finger scroll
- Organize notes within notebooks
- Export notes to PDF for printing, archiving, or sharing
- Share notes with friends and colleagues via email, Evernote, and other services
Active Pen Device Exclusive Features:
- Pressure sensitive pen for more natural writing
- Use pen side button to select pen strokes without having to switch tools
- Use pen side button for quick flick gestures (undo/redo and tool/color popups)
Arc Journal Lite
Arc Journal for Android tablets. Capture your experiences, thoughts and ideas. Sueneti's Arc Journal brings smart digital editing capabilities to your everyday journal. It packages all the tools you need to capture your life's experiences, the people you've meet, the places you've been and the emotions you've felt.
● Write or draw your own content.
● Capture images from Flickr, Google images, Corbis or any of your favourite web sites.
● Include videos from YouTube.
● Add text.
● Associate your journal with an event in your calendar.
● Share pages via your favourite social networks including Facebook.
● Pinch to rotate/resize/move images and text.
● Pinch to zoom/move page.
● Full animated undo/redo support.
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Avadon: The Black Fortress is an epic, old school fantasy role-playing adventure, with a fascinating story and 40+ hours of gameplay in glorious HD. Experience huge adventures, cunning foes, hundreds of magic artifacts to find, and countless enemies of your people to hunt down. Avadon is the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga. You will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is Law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure and battle a conspiracy to destroy your people.
- Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.
- Four different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.
- Uncover the fascinating history of Avadon and the land of Lynaeus.
- Many different endings. Your choices will change the world.
- Dozens of side quests, hidden dungeons, and secrets to discover.
- Hundreds of magical items to find. Use enchanted crystals to make your artifacts even more powerful.
- Huge adventure with lots of replay value.
Viewer for Khan Academy
Note: This is not an official app.
Viewer for Khan Academy makes it easy to view Khan Academy's library of over 3,400 educational videos. Topics covered include: general science, biology, chemistry, physics, math, finance, history, the humanities, and much much more. Khan Academy's library of videos is available free of charge. Teachers, students, scientists - people form all walks of life - will find Khan Academy's materials immensely valuable and engaging.
- take individual videos, or entire playlists offline to watch when you don't have a network connection
- follow along, skip ahead, or go back by navigating subtitles
- connect with your Khan Academy user account to track your work and earn achievements
LogiType Tablet Keyboard
I'm not sure taking up over 60% of the screen is a good idea for a keyboard, but LogiType could be interesting enough to try out.
LogiType uses a new groundbreaking technology to give you the easiest and fastest touch-typing keyboard available for Android tablets.
- If you know how to type, you already know this keyboard.
- Moves and resizes keys while you type to accommodate your personal typing style.
- No candidates, no alternate views, just the normal keyboard you are familiar with.
- Type as fast on a tablet as you can on a PC.
TMZ for Tablets
Yeah, it's TMZ, I know, I know, but it's an official app for a pretty popular brand, so who am I to vote it off the list just because I change the channel the moment it comes on and handcuff myself to a chair to prevent accidental slappage of anyone who comes near, having mistaken them for Harvey Levin? You know you do it too:
Run before it's too late!
Although, the Play Store does have one thing going for it - now excuse me as I stare at the screenshot of Natalie Portman's photo at the Golden Globes some more (yes, it needs to be that big).
Get celebrity news FIRST on the new TMZ for Tablets app for the Android – a FREE, customizable app that’s super-easy to use. The TMZ app allows you to personalize your entire TMZ experience. Create a TMZ profile and share news with friends, leave comments and track the stars YOU like most – you can even customize your news feed to include tweets from specific celebs. Everything you love about TMZ is just a touch away, including:
- Exclusive stories – Scroll through stories as we break ‘em
- High-quality Videos – Easy access to Raw and Uncut videos, TMZ Live episodes and “TMZ on TV” clips
- Photo Galleries – 1000’s of photos and galleries. Duh.
It’s the TMZ you know and love, optimized for Android Tablets.
Sports Live! HD
Enjoy the award-winning Sports Live! app on the big screen of your Android tablet! Sports Live! HD brings you a full scoreboard for your favorite sports teams in 12 professional and college sports. Read and participate in the latest tweets about the game. Join the conversation with other Sports Live! HD users thanks to real-time chat (powered by Villo).
INCLUDED SPORTS: Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Women's Basketball, College Football, College Basketball, Women's College Basketball, UK Football, US Soccer, Euro Football, International Soccer.
+ Full scoreboard with live scores for today's games
+ Latest tweets about game
+ Real-time chat with other Sports Live! HD users
+ Instant score alerts
+ Twitter integration
+ Easy and intuitive design
+ And much more!
Android Police coverage: Hulu Plus Update Finally Brings Tablet-Optimized UI To Select Devices
Hulu Plus isn't a new app, but its tablet UI and Honeycomb+ support is.
Download the app to enjoy unlimited instant streaming of current hit TV shows with your Hulu Plus subscription. Hulu Plus supports select phones running Android 2.2+ and select tablets running Android 3.0+ in the United States. See below for a complete list of supported devices.
• Watch the full current season of popular shows including Modern Family, The Office, Family Guy, and many others
• Enjoy classic series including Lost and Battlestar Galactica
• Resume watching from where you left off on your TV or other supported device
• Watch over WiFi, 3G, and 4G
• Available for $7.99/month with limited advertising
• Asus Eee Pad Transformer
• Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime
• Motorola Xoom
• Motorola XYBoard 10.1
• Toshiba Thrive
• Acer Iconia
• LG G-Slate
• HTC Flyer
• Vizio 8" Tablet
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.