We've taken a look at a few different cases for the Galaxy Nexus over the past several weeks, but they've all been the same type of case: ruggedized. However, not everyone wants a case that is constantly attached to their device.
Some people prefer a much simpler approach, like a slipcase. That's exactly what the Crumena case from SPIGEN SGP (formerly just 'SGP') is -- and it's a damn nice one.
With that, let's dive in and take a closer look.
What is it? The Crumena is a basic leather slipcase that comes in two colors - black or brown - for the Galaxy Nexus. It's a simple, yet elegant solution to keeping your phone safe without having to keep something attached to the device at all times.
How much is it? It's probably more affordable than you may think: $29.95
The Bottom Line: If you want to keep your device safe but aren't into the idea of keeping in a case all the time, this is probably the solution for you.
- It's simple. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles to this case. You put your device in it when you want to make sure it's protected, and take it out when you want your device naked. It really doesn't get any easier than that.
- It's well made. If you know anything about SGP, then you know that they don't let anything go out into the world with the SGP logo on it if it's not a top-notch product. This case is no exception.
- It looks great. That one speaks for itself. This is one good looking case, regardless of which color you choose.
- It covers the entire device (including the screen). The entire phone goes inside of this case, unlike other slipcases that leave part of the phone exposed (presumably so for easy removal). When you want to take the phone out of the case, simply pull the tab on the back of the case to slide the phone out. It's actually a pretty brilliant design.
- The tab is magnetic. The tab magnetizes to the side of the case, so it doesn't freely flap around while in your pocket.
- The tab ribbon gets twisted easily. I mentioned earlier that you pull a tab to easily remove the device from the case. Attached to that tab is a ribbon, and when the phone isn't in the case, that ribbon gets twisted easily. It doesn't necessarily affect the way the case functions, but it does look like crap. Fortunately, you can un-twist it pretty easily. Still, it's annoying.
- It can be cumbersome. Regardless of which way you put it in your pocket, you'll have to twist and contort the case just right to get your phone out at a comfortable angle (and not drop it in the process).
- No belt clip. Honestly, I expected this to be one of those slip cases that you attach to your belt and just pull the device out when you need it, but it's not. While I don't personally prefer to wear my phone on my side, I know a lot of people who do, and it seems like a belt-clip solution would be perfect with this case.
During my time with the Crumena, I actually grew to like it quite a bit. While it can be a bit cumbersome at times, I think it's a nice solution for anyone who wants part-time protection that's super-easy to apply. Sure, it's not going to give the protection that something like the Seidio Convert or Otterbox Defender has to offer, but I think this is best suited for a whole different sort of niche: business users.
When it comes to elegance, I haven't used another case that can even come close to this one. This case definitely has a certain sophisticated charm that will work very well in a business environment. If you were to pull your device out during a business meeting or professional lunch, I believe this is the type of case that will invoke the turn of a head, and probably even more "where did you get that?" questions. It just have a very professional look.
Even though it only comes in two colors, the look of each is absolutely stunning. I was actually surprised at how much I like the brown one; I ended up using it more often than the black, simply because I love the look of it. It's rich caramel color with golden brown stitching -- it's just really classy looking. The only thing that throws off a fully unified look is the black ribbon. I wish it were a different color.
As much as I love the brown one, the black one is definitely nothing to scoff at, either. The quality of the material is just as nice as its caramel counterpart, just darker. It's a very deep, shiny black (like you would expect from leather) with equally dark stitching. The color makes it look a bit more seamless than the brown one, if that's something that you're interested in.
Overall, this is a really well-made, elegant, sophisticated, and sturdy case, albeit for a somewhat niche market. It's not going to protect like a more ruggedized case, but it will definitely keep your device safe in case of an accidental drop. And best of all, it'll look pretty all the way down.