I know what you're thinking - Continuum? Wtf is that? It's that novelty phone released back in November of '10 with two screens: the actual display, and the "ticker" underneath.
When it was release, it shipped with Android 2.1 (that's Éclair for those who haven't been in the Android game for more than a year). Guess what? That hasn't changed. Yes, those poor souls who bought the Continuum have been stuck running 2.1 for more than a year. Sadface.
Good news, though! Big Red started pushing a pair of updates that will bring black sheep of the Galaxy S family up to Android 2.2. Sure, it's already pretty outdated, but I'm sure Continuum owners will take what they can get at this point.
The update consists of two parts: build i400.EB01, which is the precursor to the actual update, build i400.EC09.
Here are the details of each update:
Software Update 1 - Enhancements in i400.EB01 Software:
- This software update is the first step of two when upgrading to Android 2.2 (Froyo).
Downloading this update will also provide improvements in the Over the Air (OTA)
Software Update 2 - Enhancements in i400.EC09 Software:
Web Browsing and Data Access:
- Receive calls with limited interruption.
- Device now supports Adobe® Flash® 10.1.
- Receive GPS updates when connected over a Wi-Fi network.
Call Features, Email and Messaging:
- Improved delivery of text messages.
- When a text message reaches the 160 character limit, the device will convert the message to a multimedia message 1 and alert you with a notification.
- Support for animated GIF files in a multimedia message.
Additional Device Features:
- Improvements in Over the Air (OTA) functionality to ensure your device can be successfully updated.
- Ability to allow automatic application updates in Android Market.™
- When using V CAST Apps to download applications, the device will remain active to ensure transfer completion.
- Media Hub now comes preloaded.
- Improved GPS accuracy when using the VZ Navigator® application.
- Enable the auto-refresh setting within the Weatherbug® App to ensure constant updates.
- Accurately display the time when using the Weatherbug App.
- Easily toggle audio between a connected headset and the phone during Visual Voice Mail playback.
- Selecting Voice Mail from within the Buddies Now widget will properly open the message in the Visual Voice Mail application.
- Visual Voice Mail displays correct call back number.
- Successfully open the Navigation Link from within the car dock screen.Enhanced stability while playing streamed music using the Google Music application.
- Launcher application will no longer experience forced closures when the device is placed in desk mount.
Alright, Continuum owners. Are you ready for your life to change forever? Okay, that may be a bit of a stretch, but the update is definitely one that will make your device better.
This update should be rolling out now, to see if it's available on your device hit Settings > About phone > System updates > Check new.
Good luck, and welcome to last year's future!