Since before the launch of Amazon's Kindle Fire, the Android community has been atwitter, planning to break through the shopping giant's custom Android variant to achieve a true Android experience. Coming one step closer to that, BriefMobile has provided detailed instructions on how to get the Android Market running on Amazon's affordable 7" slate.
Of course, the Kindle Fire is not compatible with all the apps in the Market, so you may notice a few missing. Hopefully developers will be adding support for the Fire in the future, but for now, there are still plenty of reasons you want the Market on Amazon's Android tablet.
Without further ado, here are the steps you'll need to take to get the market running on your device:
- Root your Kindle Fire
- Download the following apks (You are on your own finding them, I’d rather not link them here)
- Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
- Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)
- Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
- On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to "Device" and turn On "Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources"
- Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)
- Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files
- Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install
- When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk
- Long-press Vending.apk and select the "Move" option on pop-up menu
- Navigate to /system/app folder
- Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
- Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder
- Long-press Vending.apk and select "Permissions" from pop-up menu
- Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r-r-)
- Reboot your Kindle Fire
- Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
Once you've completed the above steps, you should be able to enjoy the Android Market and all its goodness on your Kindle Fire immediately. At the rate developers are moving with the Fire, there will certainly be more goodies to enjoy soon.