Sprint's LG Optimus S may be a budget Android device, but apparently that isn't going to stop Sprint and LG from providing Android updates going forward. Today, Sprint announced via its Community Forums that an update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is rolling out to some devices beginning today, with all devices being updated within 10 days.
The official enhancements/fixes list:
LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVH)
- Volume adjustment from handset when backlight is off and in a Bluetooth call
- Initiation of a 3-way call in certain markets
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Updated color scheme (includesdarker notification bar and black-based menus)
- New on-screen keyboard (supports multi-touch input and a smart auto-correction function)
- Improved cut-paste functionality
- New integrated download application for ease in accessing downloaded files
- Updated camera application
- Power management and task killer applications
- The new software version is: LS670ZVH
- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 10 days
- Refer to the LG Optimus S Software Update blog for install instructions
All in all, not a bad update, and one that should help the low-end device run just a little smoother and faster.