Once again, we're teaming up with informIT to give away yet another book. This time around, it's perhaps what you'd call a higher-level book that might be especially useful to those familiar with developing, though it's still accessible to those just starting out. The book: Android Developer's Cookbook: Building Applications with the Android SDK.
Written by James Steele and Nelson To and published in October, 2010, the book spans a whopping 400 pages. It's available in both eBook and print for $25.59 (or $24.34 on Amazon) and $31.99, respectively - or $43.19 for both.
Want to get started building applications for Android, the world’s hottest, fast-growing mobile platform? Already building Android applications and want to get better at it? This book brings together all the expert guidance–and code–you’ll need!
Completely up-to-date to reflect the newest and most widely used Android SDKs, The Android Developer’s Cookbook is the essential resource for developers building apps for any Android device, from phones to tablets.
Proven, modular recipes take you from the absolute basics to advanced location-based services, security techniques, and performance optimization. You’ll learn how to write apps from scratch, ensure interoperability, choose the best solutions for common problems, and avoid development pitfalls. Coverage includes:
- Implementing threads, services, receivers, and other background tasks
- Providing user alerts
- Organizing user interface layouts and views
- Managing user-initiated events such as touches and gestures
- Recording and playing audio and video
- Using hardware APIs available on Android devices
- Interacting with other devices via SMS, web browsing, and social networking
- Storing data efficiently with SQLite and its alternatives
- Accessing location data via GPS
- Using location-related services such as the Google Maps API
- Building faster applications with native code
- Providing backup and restore with the Android Backup Manager
- Testing and debugging apps throughout the development cycle
Turn to The Android Developer’s Cookbook for proven, expert answers–and the code you need to implement them. It’s all you need to jumpstart any Android project, and create high-value, feature-rich apps that sell!
Sound like just what you need to step your game up to the next level? Read on to find out how you can be one of the five winners of a free copy.
How To Win
- Warren Meyer
- Justin F.
Congratulations, guys - all of you will be contacted for your information in the near future.
Same deal as the last time, folks: just leave a comment to this post (below) and be sure to include your actual email address in the "Mail" column - we need it to contact you should you win. There are no rules for what kind of comment in particular, but may we suggest leaving something funny, witty, or why you deserve the book?
The contest will run until Wednesday, September 21 at 11:59 PM PST. Winners will then be chosen at random and contacted via email. The contest is, again, open to everyone in the world.