- Tattoo Tycoon by HandyGames
- Star Legends Beta (3D MMO)
- Minecraft - Pocket Edition
- Aces 3D Brick Breaker
- Eternity Warriors by Glu
- Star Rebellion Lite
- Greedy Spiders Free
- Ruffled: Feathers Rising Lite
- Jimmy Pataya
- The Patriots US
- Zorro: Shadow of Vengeance
- Joining Hands
- STAR BLITZ by Glu
- SILPHEED Alternative AM
- Word Ball
- Brick Bow
- Stupid Ninjas
- Paranormal Agency by G5E
- Rush Down
- apzOrb Free
- 7 Little Words
- My Country
- Supermarket Management by G5E
- Shovel Heroes
- For Tablets
- Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
- Comments (9)
This edition focuses only on new games. The app roundup is coming up soon, and you can find the tablet app roundup here.
Looking for the previous roundup editions? Find them here:
- 7 Android 3.0+ Apps For Honeycomb Tablets From The Last 2 Weeks (7/18/11 - 7/31/11)
- 36 Best New Android Games From The Last 2 Weeks (7/18/11 - 8/1/11)
- [Part 1 - The First 25 Apps] 49 Best (And 5 WTF) New Android Apps, Widgets, And Live Wallpapers From The Last 2 Weeks (7/19/11 - 8/2/11)
- [Part 2 - The Last 29 Apps] 49 Best (And 5 WTF) New Android Apps, Widgets, And Live Wallpapers From The Last 2 Weeks (7/19/11 - 8/2/11)
Tattoo Tycoon by HandyGames
You guys know the drill in these management story-type games - in Tattoo Tycoon, you manage a tattoo studio, employees, designs, etc. Brought to you by the maker of Guns'n'Glory, Aporkalypse, and other popular games.
Prove your business acumen and your skill with the tattoo machine in 6 challenging scenarios! Set up, expand and furnish your tattoo studio, manage employees, develop new tattoo designs and improved equipment, increase your reputation and turn your little tattoo parlor into a highly profitable enterprise!
- casual business simulation with classic “tycoon”-style gameplay
- 6 scenarios with more than 50 challenging tasks
- individualize your tattoo studio with a multitude of furnishings and fixtures
- manage employees and expand your business
- minigames with dynamic difficulty
- hard-rocking music and sound effects
- HD-graphics for high-resolution displays
Star Legends Beta (3D MMO)
From the creator of Pocket Legends, Star Legends brings the same MMO concept to space and seems to do that quite well with 4.5 stars (pun intended?) and over 1000 reviews so far.
Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles is a new Sci Fi Multiplayer Online Game and the second in the "Legends" franchise by Spacetime Studios.
In this vast online world, you'll join millions of players from around the world on futuristic adventures through hijacked space ships, alien infested asteroids, and highly advanced science labs enshrouded in mystery.
Grab your double flash guns and your nanofibre vest and carve out your reputation among the stars.
Minecraft - Pocket Edition
Android Police coverage: Minecraft For Android Launches In The Android Market
If you haven't heard of Minecraft, you must have been living under a rock (and certainly not in a giant castle you've just crafted out of giant red and blue blocks). Unfortunately, Minecraft for Android is currently locked down to Xperia Plays, but the public release should be coming in a few months. Bummer for all Minecraft fans.
Imagine it, build it. Create worlds on the go with Minecraft - Pocket Edition.
The new Minecraft - Pocket Edition allows you to build on the go. Use blocks to create masterpieces as you travel, hangout with friends, sit at the park, the possibilities are endless. Move beyond the limits of your computer and play Minecraft everywhere you go.
* Randomized worlds
* Build anything you can imagine
* Build with 36 different kinds of blocks
* Invite and play with friends to your world (local wireless network)
* Save multi-player worlds on your own phone
Aces 3D Brick Breaker
Forget 3D Pong - here's 3D brick breaker! Watch the video - the gameplay looks a bit surreal, but very cool.
Have you mastered the standard Brick Breaker game? Are you ready for a new challenge? Aces 3D Brick Breaker creates an exciting new 3D Brick Breaker experience! With lifelike physics the ball is able to move realistically in three dimensions.
• 7 different themes
• Tons of power ups for the paddle and balls
• Collect gems to earn extra points
• 3D graphics and realistic game physics
• Online Leaderboards; daily, weekly and overall
• Tracks tons of statistics
• In-game tutorials
Eternity Warriors by Glu
Android Police review: [New Game Review] Glu's Eternity Warriors: They Should Have Just Called It 'Sword Bros'
Eternity Warrior's is Glu's yet another Gun Bros remake, though unlike Star Blitz, it seems to have a lot more going for it. A 4.5-star average with almost 1000 reviews compared to Star Blitz's 4.2 stars seems to reaffirm that notion.
But seriously, Glu, it's time to try something new for a change.
After 20 years of peace in Northern Udar, a powerful new Demon threat has emerged under the command of the evil Demon King Kilic. The Demons have overrun and transformed the once vibrant land into a cesspool of danger and evil. Only the courageous Eternity Warriors can defeat this rising threat to the world of Humans and Elves!
3D fantasy world with fast-paced melee action gameplay: Experience an amazing variety of heavy and light attacks, devastating special moves and powerful combos to take out the hoards of demonic enemies
Spectacular sword-wielding combat alongside your real friends: The Eternity Warriors always fight the Demon threat together with fellow clan members found on Facebook and OpenFeint.
Magical array of swords, axes, armors and power-ups: To be a truly great warrior you need truly great weapons. Build your inventory with some of the biggest and most insanely powerful weapons imaginable!
What attracted me to Tanked wasn't the fact that it's a multiplayer tank game. And it wasn't even that it's cross-platform between Android, iPhone, and webOS. Or even that you can play your friends locally using the split-screen mode. It was the phrase I've bolded below. Read it and crack that smile.
Tanked - 3D online multiplayer tank combat that lets Android, iPhone, and webOS battle it out.
Multiplayer only. (online via wifi/3g or local split-screen)
Currently free because Seth is too lazy to do IAP or ads or whatever.
* Up to 8 players over wifi or 3G
* Up to 4 players local split-screen play
* Automatic game pairing system, play in seconds, no signups
* Text chat allowed in the lobby and during play
* World ranking system - beat others to earn career points
* First login of the day gives you a random 1-10 career point bonus
Star Rebellion Lite
You can never have enough Tower Defense games - Star Rebellion is a newcomer that actually looks pretty decent, once you get past the Engrish in the description.
- 9 types of turret and one type brick to build, 10 levels of upgrade for each tower.
- Realistic sound effects.
- Very high-quality graphics.
- A lot of heavy weapons like Laser, Electric, Missile, E.M.F., plasma MAC, and ect (sic).
- 22 Achievements and OpenFeint support.
- 24 maps with 5 difficulty levels with from 30 waves to an unlimited waves to defend.
- super big map!
- Open field Map and Random map Mode.
- App2sd support.
Greedy Spiders Free
Greedy Spiders may look simple at first, but it gets quite challenging pretty fast. Put down Angry birds and try it out, seriously - it's well done. I tried it on a tablet as well, but it didn't scale at all, so it looks like the developer, PixelLoop, removed tablet support in the latest version.
4.5 stars with over 1500 reviews so far.
The Spiders have come to town and they are planning on dining their friendly neighbors. Use your intelligence in this exciting puzzle game and prevent the Spiders from pulling their plan through.
Thinking of an easy game? Wait until you find yourself dealing with up to three evil and hungry spiders.
As you progress through the levels, new actions, new spiders and new surprises will be available.
Deceive a spider, burn down the spider web or even invoke a supernatural power to save a bug...use everything at your hands to avoid being eaten in this breath taking journey.
✓ 64 challenging levels!
✓ 7 different types of bugs!
Ruffled: Feathers Rising Lite
OK, here's what you need to know about this game in bold: "Free flight in a full 3D city! And best of all, you get to poop on people! "
Need I say more?
Play the game that makes pooping on people socially acceptable, not to mention hilarious!
Experience a story of home and freedom lost, of human encroachment and deforestation through the eyes of one bird who has finally had enough.
Soar through the skies of Splat City, constantly on the hunt for your next victim. Throughout the city's rolling suburbs, relaxing parks, bustling university campus, the clamor of the city's largest industrial project, and the highrise hustle and bustle of downtown you will enact your birdie rage fueled vengeance in a spectacular array of 3D urban environments.
Some of the key features of Ruffled: Feathers Rising:
* Spectacular 3D environments
* Open Free Reign Flight in every level
* Smooth arcade style flight controls
* Multiple play strategies: dive bomb unsuspecting humans, focus on achievements, and more.
In Jimmy Pataya, you kind of forget your parachute and plunge down towards earth in an endless manner. It's an interesting spin on a Speedx-type game, but in the end, that's pretty much what it is - a Speedx clone (which itself is a clone of other similar games from back in the day as well).
- Super smooth tilt-controls
- Intense gameplay that requires ninja reflexes
- Extremely fast-paced arcade action
- 3D graphics that suck you in and shake you up
- Drum n bass soundtrack that gets you pumped up (use your headphones!)
- Tablet support
The Patriots US
A version for the Brits (i.e. the oppressors in this situation) is available as well - The Patriots UK.
The British are coming… Again! It’s been twelve years since the war of 1812 and the British have reassembled and are seeking revenge for their ancestor’s losses. Take control of the cannon and defend the Capitol against the relentless Redcoats.
Defend the Capitol with a barrage of weapons. Advance to the next level and use your war funds to purchase upgrades that can help you defend your country. The fate of America’s freedom rests in your hands. See if you have what it takes to fight off the Redcoats and send them back to their country empty handed… Again!
Upgrades to help you defend the Capitol:
• Guns - Add another gun.
• Grapeshot - Fires a spread of 5 bullets.
• Cannon - Smashes a column of enemies.
• Franklin Grenade - Damages troops in area of impact.
• Quickloader - Makes up for strength with speed.
• Fortifications - Increases the HP of all buildings.
Zorro: Shadow of Vengeance
Who doesn't know Zorro? A game of this caliber can't possibly be bad, right? Unfortunately, that is not the case - see our full review linked above for more details.
Immerse yourself in the world of Zorro, re-imagined, rebooted, and brought to life in gorgeous HD environments. This is a darker, more action oriented Zorro that will sure to excite fans and newcomers alike. The sword of Zorro has always been a tool to vanquish his enemies. Use it now to not only disperse foes, but to make your mark in the world by swiping your finger across wanted posters throughout the many levels.
Unfortunately, this game supports Gingerbread and above, so Froyo users will feel left behind.
Basic gameplay: drag and drop the Peablins so that all the hands in the level are joined and all the Peablins are happy. And remember: Leave no hand behind!
- Innovative but elegant and easy to learn
- Fun to interact with and suitable for all ages
- Several kinds of Peablins that require different approaches
- Tasty high resolution graphics
- Hilarious sound effects
- Over one hundred hand crafted levels
- No time limits, no enemies, no pressure. Just one more level...
- Compete with your friends for Most Stars Collected on Openfeint leaderboards.
STAR BLITZ by Glu
Here we go - Star Blitz is Gun Bros in space that I mentioned above, but personally I didn't play it on my tablet for too long before uninstalling, as it felt too choppy and harder to control compared to Gun Bros. However, don't take my word for it and try it out yourself - it's free.
Take to the skies as a STAR BLITZ FIGHTER on an intergalactic mission to defeat the evil Alien Xeno Cluster as they attempt to dominate the Arelon Prime, the homeworld of the Galactic Coalition. Unleash your powerful arsenal of LASERS, ELECTRONS and HOMING ROCKETS on the enemy as you work to out-maneuver and out-gun the Alien ships. Attack at the heart of the evil Cluster and restore faith in the Galactic Coalition.
SILPHEED Alternative AM
SILPHEED is a beautiful 3D space shooter. There are a few versions of this Japanese-made game, but the AM one is presumably for English speakers (did they really mean to name it AM, as in America? I'm not sure).
A few centuries have passed since humankind developed the technology to travel amongst the boundless sea of infinite stars... Unknown forces attacking from the edge of the galaxy and making their way to our solar system. Being short of armory, could the Space Frontier Guards protect against the fierce attacks and throw back their enemies? A new entry of a full-scale space shooting franchise has joined in the lineup of Android Market
Word Ball is a fun new take on word games, with the letters bouncing and shrinking as you play along. Watch the video to see exactly what the gameplay is like.
Word Ball challenges your word building skills in a fast paced, unique, and fun word game. Play with friends and beat the top scores! Test your limits by keeping the letters alive and reach the top levels. Gain achievements for different word building categories.
Word Ball provides a beneficial brain training exercise by allowing the user to focus and think on their feet when building words as quickly as possible. By concentrating on the letters as they shrink and bounce, the game will allow your cognitive senses to react in a manner that reinforces word and pattern recognition.
- OpenFeint enabled
- Leaderboards and achievements
- Extensive dictionary of over 175,000 words
- Hi-Res display graphics
- Detailed statistics and history of scores
- In-game word lists
You can play a version of this game in the browser using the Unity web player (hey, that's neat!) here.
Hello Adventurer, are you prepared for a fast paced puzzle shooter? Fire bricks to match 3 or more of the same and drop bricks to create crazy combos but be fast or the bricks may crush you. Collect amazing power ups, coins, hearts and diamonds all while doing battle with enemy moles.
So are you feeling brave enough to save the princess and do battle with the Monster Tree? Well are you??
- New Brick Shooting Puzzle Mechanics
- Crazy powerups. Match 4 to create a Bomb, 5 to create a Lightning Bolt, or 6 to unleash the Hammer
- Retro themed world with chiptunes music
- Create Combos by chaining falling bricks together
- Simple yet addictive game gameplay
- 5 levels to explore.
- Huge Tree Boss Battle.
- 2 Bonus Modes. Brick A Mole and Coin Wave!
- Endless mode to see how long you can last and score you can get!
From the makers of Stupid Zombies...
Stupid Ninjas have infested the land and you are the villagers last hope to restore order and sanity.
Use your Samurai sword wisely, you only have 1, 2 or 3 slashes to clear a level... fortunately, those Stupid Ninjas carry plenty of dangerous weapons to create chain reactions. Collect 3 shuriken in each level, and make sure to improve your time bonus once you figured out the correct sequence.
Yup, the Speedx clones keep on coming. Just like with Tower Defense games, we can never have enough (OK, fine, maybe one day we will, but not just yet).
Supersonic is an adrenaline-charged, music-driven 3D ride game. Blaze through radiant neon racing circuits at ever faster speeds, accompanied by electronic beats from Finnish artist collective Kitkaliitto. The ultimate challenge comes in the 30-second Blitz mode with speed boosts, time extends and other special collectibles.
★ High speed 3D tunnel ride game
★ Cutting edge riders can compete for a place on the weekly Top 50 list
★ Levels designed to the rhythm of electronic music by Kitkaliitto (www.kitkaliitto.com)
★ Two game modes: Classic and Blitz
★ Blazing 30-second Blitz mode with speed boosts, time extends and other special collectibles
★ Four classic mode racing circuits with custom soundtracks and loads of score bonuses
★ Earn game credits to purchase power-ups for Blitz mode
Paranormal Agency by G5E
Use your supernatural ESP to rid the city of malevolent spooks and spirits in this eerie Hidden Object game! Detective Heather Mills has the amazing ability to see ghosts and other mysterious entities that are not visible to other people. When spooky ghosts and weird creatures start showing up in local homes, it's up to Heather and her agency to get to the bottom of this macabre mystery and look for reasons behind recent poltergeist attacks on innocent citizens. Help Heather hunt for hidden items in locations all over the city and find out who is behind the attacks.
● More Than 50 Challenging Levels
● Five Different Types of Hidden Object Challenges
● Seven Unique Mini-Games
● Original Storyline
● Nearly Endless Hidden Object Fun
I'm not usually one to recommend rush-style games, but the doodle-like graphics of Rush Down was too hard to pass up.
Rush Down is a doodle style falling down game with intuitive game rule. Your ultra mission to reach the deepest place of stick man's world!
Android Police review: [Review] ApzOrb: Funny Spelling, But A New Skin For An Old Snake
Snake. In 3D. 'nuff said!
This is a snake like arcade game where you have one goal, absorbing different colors of blocks.
Time Game Mode:
Absorb as many blocks similar in color to your snake as possible in 90 seconds.
apzOrb Game Mode:
Absorb blocks of a similar color, without a time limit. But beware, wrong colors poison you!
7 Little Words
If you enjoy crossword puzzles, word finds, and anagram games, you're going to love 7 Little Words.
Each bite-size puzzle consists of 7 clues, 7 mystery words, and 20 letter groups. Find the mystery words by deciphering the clues and combining the letter groups.
Note: the game for some reason now asks for root permissions - we've looked into it together with TeamAndIRC and found no sign of foul play. It's very weird nonetheless.
Develop your city, transport networks and industry. A game at a whole new scale!
My Country is a game for serious city builders!
Establish bus transit and take it to a new level of play. Develop your country.
Your goals in the game:
- Complete hundreds of tasks to the benefit of your developing country
- Build residential buildings to increase your country's population
- Open office buildings and upgrade them to employ more citizens and turn greater profits
- Develop industry, sign contracts and buy vehicles to transport the goods you produce
- Manage the ecology and energy use in your city by building power stations and parks
- Change the landscape: cut canals, lakes, plant trees and country roads
- Establish a bus transit network for your residents
- Gather collection items from the residents of your country
- Hire professionals to grow a forest of skyscrapers in your country!
Supermarket Management by G5E
Another G5 game we've been expecting for a while now - manage a supermarket, yada yada yada - you know the drill.
Help Kate climb her way to the top and become Supermarket Manager! Fresh out of college, a job has fallen into Kate`s lap and now she needs your help to succeed. Keep your customers happy as you manage a supermarket in this mile-a-minute Time Management game. Purchase upgrades and hire co-workers to make your store run more efficiently and increase profits. Open new shops and make it to the top of the corporate ladder!
● 49 Challenging levels
● 4 Different shops
● More than 13 upgrades for your shop and your character
● 9 Sale mini-games
● 3 Assistants to hire
● 3 More special-task counters to purchase and upgrade
Welcome to the world of Treasure, Monsters and Ancient Gods! Explore beautiful tropical islands to find the rarest items in the World. Customize your character, fight pirates, wild animals, and angry natives. Play with friends. Play mini-games and solve puzzles. Increase your skills and gain new powers. Decorate your home island. 80 islands to explore and 40 collections to gather.
We posted the tablet roundup separately - see here.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.