Update: It looks like someone in Sony's camp got a little overzealous concerning this update, as it's actually not available just yet. According to the Sony Ericsson Product Blog, the launch is coming, but "[they] just need more days before [they] can push the button." We'll keep you posted of any developments on this front -- like, you know, when it's actually available.
Owners of the Sony Erricsson Xperia X10, make ready your computers - the official Gingerbread update is ready and available to download. The update brings many new features aside from the goodness of Gingerbread, including Facebook inside Xperia, Sony's take on Facebook integration; Wi-Fi hotspot and USB tethering, a new music player with equalizer, photo widget, and app tray sorting.
There are some downsides to the update as well:
- User data, such as contacts, messages and more, saved in your phone memory will be overwritten. User data saved on the phone’s memory card is not affected.
- DRM content will be overwritten.
- The Backup and Restore app will be overwritten and cannot be used to restore data. Check out Android Market for alternative apps to back up and restore your data, such as MyBackup.
- The Creatouch, Neoreader and Quadrapop apps will be removed.
- Mediascape, homescreen operator customization and app tray operator customization will no longer be supported.
- Moxier Exchange will be replaced by Android 2.3 Gingerbread Exchange support.
To grab the update, head over to Sony Ericsson's Xperia X10 landing page; if you don't already have PC Companion installed, you can grab that from the download link as well.