If you have been patiently waiting for the first 4G LTE DROID to hit Verizon's network after last month's 4G outage that delayed the original release, you'll be pleased to know that your wait ends tomorrow, as the Samsung DROID Charge is finally set to hit the shelves of Big Red.
The DROID Charge has been subject to heavy criticism due to its high price tag and lackluster hardware (read: lack of a dual core processor), and even got a not-so-great review from our own David Ruddock. Regardless, this will most likely be the new flagship device for VZW, but it's going to have a tough hill to climb if it wants to successfully compete with any of the previous DROIDs.
Update: Verizon has officially announced that the Charge will indeed drop tomorrow. Full press release below.
Update 2: The word on the street is that if you really want to score the Charge today, you should be able to mosey on into any VZW and scoop one up. If you decide you just can't wait until tomorrow, drop us a line and let us know how it goes.
Verizon wireless UNLEASHES DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG
DROID Charge Joins Verizon Wireless’ Android Family
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for purchase in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
The DROID Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touchscreen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The DROID Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1 GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.
- 4G LTE – Customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
- Android 2.2 platform – Support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 200,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
- Adobe® Flash® Player compatible
- Mobile Hotspot capability – Share 4G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
- Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring Swype technology
Pricing and data plans:
- The DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- DROID Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile Hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
For more information about the DROID Charge by Samsung, visit www.droiddoes.com/charge. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.