It's been a few weeks since the deluge of Gingerbread builds leaked on March 27 (Droid X, Droid 2, Galaxy S i9000), but now another big dog is looking to join the party: a test Android 2.3 ROM for the HTC EVO has leaked and been posted to the XDA forums. A ton of people have taken the bait, with the thread already checking in at over 73 pages long - and it's only been up for about 6 hours.
I haven't had time to go through the whole thread, obviously, but user quocamole was kind enough to post a quick good/bad list:
some quick initial impressions:
-one of the smoothest, fastest sense roms out of the box i've ran (for you benchers, i'm getting around 37 on linpack)
- no issues with brightness settings (hw003, not sure about screen)
- browsing feels faster and smoother
- some menu fonts are smaller
- some hints of gingerbread (notification icons)
- swype has a cursor similar to gb keyboard
- camcorder closes when recording in h.264
- no epst [electronic performance support tool]
- sense 1.0, but i run lp anyway
think i'm going to run it for a few days. can't wait to see what the great evo 4g devs will do with this one. [Bolding mine]
Ready to give it a try? You can download it from their MultiUpload mirror, and if you have any questions or need help, be sure to head over to the source link. And as always, if you take the dive, let us know what you think!