The long planned, much anticipated update to WidgetLocker that adds themes has been released, and it's every bit as awesome as we expected. Perhaps the best part about it is that there's already a broad selection of themes available in the XDA thread, and it's likely that number will increase substantially as time goes on thanks to the groundwork laid by previous WL mods.
Once you find a theme you like, installation is very, very easy:
1) When clicking on a link in the form of http://…foo.wltheme.zip, chose WidgetLocker to open the link rather then your browser. WidgetLocker will download and install the theme.
2) Open the Theme.wltheme.zip file on your phone (From the Downloads window or Astro or similar). You may be asked which app to open it with, you can safely say “Select default” and chose WidgetLocker. WidgetLocker will only be the default for “.wltheme.zip” files, not all zip files.
Then you’ll see an install screen as shown on the right where. After installing, the theme will be an option when adding a custom slider.
3) Alternatively, you may manually copy the “Theme.wltheme.zip” file to your SD Card. The theme files should be placed in:
[Source: Tesla Coil]
The update brings a slew of smaller improvements, as well:
What's in this version:
- NOTE: If you previously "modded" WidgetLocker, you most likely need to uninstall your modded version before updating. http://goo.gl/AXd63
- If you don't like the update and want to revert to 1.2: http://goo.gl/3fWel
- Faster, smoother, better
- User Themes http://goo.gl/XRAmu
- Resizable Widgets and Sliders
- Custom grid size.
- Custom Sliders of all styles
- Notification Badges via ADWNotifier
- User selectable icons for sliders
- Charging/alarm status widget
- Improved Landscape
- Gingerbread Optimizations
For details, including how to create your own theme, head on over to Tesla Coil's WidgetLocker page. Don't have WidgetLocker? Scan the QR code, or hit up the Market link below.