Sprint's just sent out the official press release announcing the HTC EVO Shift 4G, and it looks like just about everything we've heard is true - right down to the price. Need a refresher on what this baby EVO is packin'?
- Android 2.2
- 3.6" 480x800 screen
- 5 MP camera
- 720p camcorder
- 2GB microSD card (support for up to 32GB)
- 800 MHz CPU (likely the same one found in the G2)
- 1 GB ROM
- 512 MB RAM
- $150 with 2 year contract, after $100 MIR
EVO Shift 4G: Now with 100% more keyboard!
Our friends over at Wirefly have had the chance to give the Shift a 10 minute video review. It's certainly worth a full watch, but some of the highlights:
- Build quality looks solid - unsurprising, given that it's an HTC device
- Point of reference: it's almost exactly the same size as the Droid 2
- The reviewer calls it a cousin to the G2, but points out it doesn't have the same hinge mechanism found in the G2
- Quadrant score is 1,429 on first run - not too shabby
Full press release from Sprint:
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), January 04, 2011 - As the first national wireless carrier to launch 4G in 2008, Sprint (NYSE:S) wrapped up 2010 with a lead in 4G wireless device innovations. Further extending that lead, the company today introduced the upcoming availability of two products in Sprint’s second generation of 4G-capable devices: HTC EVO Shift™ 4G and MiFi® 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Novatel Wireless. With these two devices, Sprint has now introduced 17 4G-capable devices for consumers and business, including three phones, a 4G netbook and notebook from Dell, numerous USB modem options, and several mobile hotspots and routers.
“Sprint will continue to set the bar for feature-rich and customer-friendly 4G devices into 2011,” said Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO. “Our proven leadership as a 4G pioneer has allowed our customers to enjoy 4G from Sprint first, and these new products exemplify Sprint’s commitment to put industry-leading performance and capabilities in the hands of our customers.”
A Feature-Rich 4G Phone with QWERTY
As the 16th 4G-capable device from Sprint, HTC EVO Shift follows in the footsteps of the award-winning HTC EVO™ 4G, bringing customers an attractive, compact design and an impressive list of features with the addition of a sliding QWERTY keyboard. Beyond the highly acclaimed HTC Sense user experience, HTC EVO Shift also boasts the power of 4G, Android 2.2™, a 5MP camera, 720p HD camcorder and a 3.6-inch capacitive touchscreen display with pinch-to-zoom capability.
Additional key features include:
- HD Video Recording
- Sprint Mobile Hotspot (supporting up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices)
- Android Market™ with access to more than 100,000 apps
- Messaging – Personal and business e-mail, IM and text messaging
- Social Networking Integration – Facebook®, Twitter™, Flickr® and more
- Visual Voicemail
- Google™ Mobile Services, including YouTube™, Gmail™, Google Talk™, Google Voice™ and Google Maps™
- GPS Navigation
- Stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology
- microSD slot (supporting up to 32GB memory card)
The Web browser on HTC EVO Shift is optimized for convenient mobile use and a full Internet experience with functions like pinch-to-zoom and automatically reflowing text. Adobe Flash technology ensures that rich Internet content, such as embedded video and animation, are displayed the way they are meant to be seen. The slide-out QWERTY keyboard makes staying in touch with friends and family through messaging and social networking quick and easy.
Priced at the lowest cost at launch for any current 4G phone, HTC EVO Shift will be just $149.99 (excluding taxes) after a $100 mail-in rebate and activation on a new two-year service agreement (or eligible upgrade), and activation on a data plan with the required $10 Premium Data Add-On. It will be available in all Sprint retail channels, including www.sprint.com and 1-800-Sprint1, on Jan. 9. For more information, visit www.sprint.com/shift.